Car occasionally will not start

I certainly hope you’ll find a solution soon (for your sake).

Using starting fluid is fine as long as the engine IS turning over while the spray is used AND not too much is used at a time.

Reason is the ether (starting fluid is alcohol) and used too frequently or too much without turning the engine over, will dilute if not clean the engine oil from the cylinders.

The spark plugs don’t seem to be fouled, and I meant to add that they were replaced a couple weeks ago as well. Also no change on dipstick since oil change (a month or so ago). I guess I’ll try and tackle a few of your suggestions although they may be a bit over-my-head. In fact, that’s one of the problems… If I can’t handle these things, I take it to mechanic and he does WHAT HE WANTS, not what I say “someone said to check”. But I’ll get my Haynes book out and give it a try. RE: hearing the fuel pump running… yes, clearly. The fuel pressure gauge deal IS over my head, and supposedly, even before we put a new one on it, the mechanic siad the pressure checked out fine. Thanks my friend.

I know… I hate using starting fluid. It has been used only when we have gotten stuck somewhere. Thanks for the warning and kind words. At this point I’m looking at the first warm day of spring putting it on Craigslist and letting someone else try their hand at fixing it.:wink: