Car lift bay for hourly rental

Thanks for your wisdom. & knowledge

Thanks for making time for giving me this great advice.

Thanks for giving me your business experience.

lol

In my defense, five of you replied before I did, and even @VOLVO_V70 didn’t notice. :wink:

2 Likes

Could we move along from rental service bays? This was ten years ago and was a bad business plan then and still is. So it’s ok to talk about lift rental business administration 101 but not discuss main frame computers and the cloud. Sheesh.

I had an idea once to buy a building and install pick up truck bling. What do you guys think? What do you think the hourly rate should be and would it be better to install LED lights or wait for the power company discount offer? Huh? Anyone do this? (Sarc)

1 Like

Clearly, one should wait for the unsolicited spam call from an unknown entity who offers to reduce your utility bill by 20% after you provide your credit card number.
:smirk:

1 Like

I was just being sarcastic at some of the stuff here. Seriously though after my cousin retired from the power company, he started his own consulting business to save companies energy costs. He only got paid from a portion of their actual savings.

We have a new question from a new member with a new idea.

2 Likes

as was I

And what was the new idea? Renting stalls like in a barber shop? Or rental experiences to a guy renting stalls in PA from a year ago?

That’s it. Not sure I understand your concern with the discussion

1 Like

Ten years old, subject beaten to death and questions are business/marketing questions, not service questions. But it was the shutting down of a couple computer responses and car polishing that seemed a little inconsistent is all. I thought wet look car polishing had to do with cars more than renting stalls as a business. Everyone has their own opinion though. That’s why there are so many car colors.

Seemed on-topic to me because it got into the operations of a car shop, and we’ve had other threads about that stuff. We also get threads about “my wife says xxx, but I said yyy.” I leave those, even though we aren’t a relationship forum. But, as you say, lots of car colors out there.

Ours are gray, black and tan

Like I said, just seemed a little arbitrary to close a discussion on car polishing because of a couple main frame computer comments is all because one person complained. But hey, it’s your show.

@Bing Thank you for the feedback. I went back and looked, and there were fewer of the cloud computing comments than I thought there were. The other user’s comment got me to look there. I didn’t pay close enough attention and I thought it was further gone than it was. I’ll reopen it, but if it goes back astray and stays that way, I’ll have to do it again. Usually I get more complaints that I wait too long to close things. Oh, and please tag me to make sure I can see your comments about these types of matters.

Is there ANY possibility you’d be open to a little Q&A? I’ve been wanting to open my own DIY Shop, pretty similar to what you’re explaining, & was wondering if you’d mind giving me a couple of small insights from your personal experience? If you’d consider, I can be reached at metal.maiden.mechanics@gmail.com, thanks SO MUCH, & I hope to hear from you!! :slight_smile:

First, this appears to be directed at Tom and Ray - and they abandoned the idea because folks needed specialized tools that they tried to borrow from Tom and Ray, Not to mention that many folks had no idea what was involved in whatever repair they were trying to make. They spent a lot of time “helping” - and that wasn’t the idea.

But go ahead, ask questions. Ray doesn’t post here anymore and Tom has gone to the DIY garage in the sky, but there are many knowledgeable folks here who can give you practical advice.

2 Likes

Plus, no one ever correctly estimates how long a job will take. You rent the bay for 2 hours thinking you’ll be done in 1, and then you have stuff disassembled and discover other problems, or find that you’ve got the wrong part, or all the bolts are rusted tight, and now that 1 hour job is a 4 hour job, with the guy who rented the bay after you standing there glaring at you.

This is one of those things that sounds like a wonderful idea, but it just doesn’t work in reality. I have a sorta-friend who is always asking to come over and do work on his car in my garage because I have tools and he doesn’t. He’s always surprised when I say no, which I do unless it’s something that won’t disable the car if it goes wrong. Before I started doing that, there were times when friends would come over to work on their cars and then the car would be sitting in my garage immobile for a week while they waited for parts or had to go to work.

I finally reached the point where I decided I’m paying a mortgage for my garage, I should be able to park my car in it. :wink:

4 Likes

They abandoned the idea because they were there for advice and ended up doing the a lot of the work.