Car import regulations?

Chase,

You’re welcome. Both my parents were civil servants in the 50s into the 80s. Many of our neighbors worked for the federal government, too. I grew up in the DC area. I still live in Central MD and many of my current neighbors are govies. I don’t notice anything unusual about them. Unless being decent, thoughtful neighbors is unusual (I hope not).

Government employees PRIMARY concern is protecting and growing the budget of the bureaucracies they work for…

Automotive import safety and emissions requirements have NOTHING to do with “The Will Of The People”…The K Street lobbyists in Washington write our laws, and in the process our elected officials all become multimillionaires if they were not multimillionaires already…

We have centralized automotive emissions testing today because of three people. Chester Davenport (owner of Envirotest) Carol Browner, (EPA chief at the time) and Bill Clinton, (who played golf with them both)…Just another big cash cow that creates a revenue stream that feeds the monster…Does it make our air any cleaner?? Not a bit…

Caddyman…with all your government conspiracy theories…Why don’t you move to South America…Then report back after you’ve lived in a country with Millions of people and no air regulatory…I have…and trust me the air in the US is far far cleaner…I also lived here in the US during the 60’s before any regulation…There were times you couldn’t see city’s skylines from 10 miles away because of the pollution.

The catalytic converter and electronically controlled fuel injection are what cleaned up our air, not emissions testing aimed at consumers…When only 3%-4% of the cars tested fail, the benefit to air quality can not be detected…

Then I apologize for mis-understanding you. I thought you were complaining about the EPA in general.

.When only 3%-4% of the cars tested fail, the benefit to air quality can not be detected…

Testing probably isn’t a way of cleaning up the air…however…Emission controls and regulation DOES work. I shudder to think what will be the case if we remove all regulation…