Car Has No Acceleration and Stinks Like eggs

ok i have a 1999 mercury cougar and recently my acceleration has gone down huge, when i try to go onto a highway my car starts to chug, i have to push the pedal to the floor for it to actually start picking up speed a little faster, and once in a while i smell a sulfur smell! another symptom i have is my engine heat goes up 3/4 of the way when this happends! also once in a while after driving while its hot the car starts to shake lightly then shakes alot until i get off the highway and bring my speed from 110km/h to about 60km, any ideas?

engine codes: p1744

The code indicates a problem with the transmission’s torque converter clutch solenoid, and that could well be connected with acceleration problems and/or shaking while driving. However, the litany of problems makes me think that your car is one that has multiple problems and/or has not had much maintenance for too long a period of time.

The smell and the acceleration problem could be related to a clogged catalytic converter. It is also possible that many of the car’s problems could be rectified with traditional “tune-up” procedures, including spark plug replacement. The overheating (?) problem could have multiple causes.

This car needs the attention of a qualified mechanic a.s.a.p. I strongly suggest that you AVOID chain operations like Midas, Monro, Meineke, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO, etc if you want to keep the repair costs down to as low a level as possible.

If you continue to drive this car with the likelihood of multiple mechanical problems, you will soon wind up stranded on the road and with a higher repair bill than if you attend to things now.

I’m in agreeement with VDCdriver and I will only add that a clogged converter can roast an engine.

We had a gentleman pull in once with a Cadillac that would barely run 15 MPH flat on the floor due to clogged converters. When the hood was raised I noted that both exhaust manifolds were glowing red. Needless to say, the engine was fried beyond recognition and this problem was so severe that even the paint on both sides of the hood (talking about the exterior paint here) was charred and bubbled up.

I’m also in agreement with VDCdriver. You have the classic symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter. Get it changed before you cause further damage to your engine.

Going on the assumption that all of the previous posts are correct (because they probably are), when you get the converter changed have the shop find out why it became all clogged up. Its not normal & means there’s a problem elsewhere.

I had this happen on my truck. I through it was the catalytic converter too. In my case it was the muffler clogged. I would check both.

thank you very much everybody for your answers, im going to bring it in this week and i will let you know what the problem was exactly, thanks