Car gets really hot and smells like it's burning oil

I have a `99 Mitsubishi Eclipse (AUTOMATIC) 4 cyl.

For the past 2-2.5 years my car seems to be real hot after driving for 15+ mins plus. There is a noticeable smell as well, smells like it’s burning oil. It’s been like this for a long time can someone explain why it’s like this?

Thanks in advance.

You need to clarify some things here. You say that the car “seems to be real hot”, but you did not state whether the temperature gauge is showing an abnormally high temperature. I think that you also said that it seems like it is burning oil (note: the forum’s new design doesn’t allow one to see the original post while writing a response!), but you did not tell us anything about the car’s oil consumption.
There is the possibility that the oil smell that you perceive could simply be the result of a bad PCV valve, but with the vague details that you have given, that is not necessarily an explanation of your problem.

Without further information, it is difficult to give an answer here, but I can tell you that I would not wait for 2 to 2.5 years if I thought that my car was overheating! If it really has been overheating, significant engine damage could have occurred, and that damage could lead to excessive oil consumption, among other problems. But, until you clarify things, every response is really going to be just a shot in the dark.

Boy! You said it. I’m not a very good shot in the dark either.