Car fails to start from first ignition

Hey,
i Own a Nissan almera 2000 Engine GA16DE

the Car fails to start from first ignition, usually starts great at the second time but some times even at the second ignition the engine RPM is a little bit low (~400) and a little bit of gas helps the car.
except the starting there is no feeling of lack of power

I already checked:
Battery,( was replaced a year ago)
spark plugs ( 1 years old)
engine ambient sensor
Starter ( Replaced it 6 months ago )

any advices?

Do a fuel pressure leak down test. Or do the key dance. Before starting, turn the key to the on position (not the start position). Leave it there for 5 seconds. Then turn key to off position. Do this 3 times. On the fourth time go ahead and start it. If it fires right up, you have a fuel pump problem.

5 Likes

Nissans are also notorious for failing cam and crank sensors…

Is it possible for air to be trapped in the fuel system, making it take a lot longer for fuel pressure to build up when starting? I have a car with a dead end fuel system and I never properly primed it after removing the fuel filter and fuel injection rail. I wonder if air is still in there making it take a second or two longer to start.

I tried and performed this test and still its start only from the second time.

wouldnt that also resolve in a leak of power while i press the gas and riding the car?

what kind of test i can perform to check if one of those sensors gone bad?

No. Once the pressure builds up it compresses the air and the pressure remains stable.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say since all the pictures of a GA16DE engine all have spark plug wires in them that it is a Gas burning engine and not a Diesel burning engine… Gas engines self purge every time the injector opens and fuel comes out of it…

@_17u Does this happen at every start up?? Or only after sitting for many hours, or only after the engine has warmed up??

Did you measure the fuel pressure leak-down time? Or are you just saying the key-dance has no effect?

i tried only the “key dance”.
because is don’t have the tools for a fuel pressure check.
( any recommended simple kit? because most tools for pressure check i saw costs a lot )

and if the problem is actually the pressure its mean i need to replace the fuel pump?

its usually happens after the car rested for some hours

It sounds like you need to either take it to a mechanic shop and pay for a proper diagnostic or invest in tools to properly diagnose it yourself…

You need to be able to look at live data using a scanner to see if everything including the engine coolant temp that is being sent to the ecm is correct, and you need to know what is going on with the fuel pressure…
You could have a bad ECT sensor, failing fuel pump or even fuel injectors leaking or even other things…

It would be much cheaper in the long run to pay for a proper diag then to start throwing parts at it hoping they fix the issue…

1 Like

I concur w @davesmopar 's post above. Remember you always have the option to do the repair yourself, once you obtain an experienced shop’s diagnostic & recommendation.

Replacing parts on a flier/guess can be a good method in a few situations, but generally, given the complexity of OBD-technology cars these days, it’s very easy to run out of money before running out of ideas what to replace next.

Not necessarily. A failed fuel pressure leak-down test could be caused by a leaky injector, among other things, rather than a faulty fuel pump. In the majority of cases it would be caused by the fuel pump, specifically the fuel pump check valve.