Car driving safety cartoons

jtsanders: Sky King and his “Niece” Penny. Wink! Wink!

@sgtrock, that was the 50s. You can be sure she was his niece. If the show was made in the 70s or later, she might have been his “niece” instead of his niece.

Yep Sky King was very honorable. Think about all the honorable role models back then. Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hop along, Andy Griffith, Danny Thomas, and on and on and compare that to the junk and the behavior being modeled on TV today. Most of it isn’t even funny and they always try to throw in a social justice lesson or two-according to their world view.

Inquiring people want to know, how does he start his car in the garage with both hands on the wheel, what is the meaning of his license pate 3x2749?

Inquiring people want to know, how does he start his car in the garage with both hands on the wheel...?

Some cars had foot-actuated starters (like my Dad’s '51 Packard).

@insightful how did that work? put the key in and stomp the accelerator?

^
Yup!
That is also the way that Buicks of the early '50s were started.

With the Packard, you turned on the key and pushed the gas down about 1/3 to trip a switch mounted on the carb.

I remember foot operated starters. My granddad’s old Chevrolet pickup truck had one. They were actually very common during the year that cartoon came out. Also, the high/low beam switch was on the floorboard of most cars back then.