Car dies when making right turn

When you can’t start it with the key, is because it doesn’t crank ?
Or does it crank but not start?

The oil pressure switch is on top of the engine block at the rear behind the carburetor.
You are assuming that full oil means good oil pressure. Maybe or maybe not.

The dying and not starting needs to be defined a bit better. It sounds like you replaced the ignition lock cylinder but that leaves open the possibility of a failed electrical part of the ignition switch or even a neutral safety switch depending upon the definitions.

This car is carbureted and there may be an issue with the carburetor which causes it to die on turns. Float level too low or weak fuel pump maybe.

2 Likes

Figure out a way to monitor the power (voltage) going to the ignition system as you drive. A volt meter or DVM inside the passenger compartment for example. Use properly fused wire. If the voltage becomes intermittent when you make right turn, you know you are on the path to a fix.

On my now deceased ‘72 Olds the carburetor float would stick on right turns. Just a thought.

1 Like

Ah, the idiosyncrasies of carburetors … lol … I think whoever invented those gadgets, they just needed something to get their experimental car running, and when, by trial and error, they finally came up w/an arrangement that allowed the engine to start and mostly run ok, we all got stuck w/it for years and years. Me, with a 50 year old truck, I’m still battling it … lol … I had problems for years where the float valve would stick in the closed position and I’ve have to unstick it before the engine would start remain started, several mornings a week I’d be leaning over the engine popping the top off the carb.

Yup, had my share of carburetor problems.
If I ever get one of the cars I desire from the 50s the ignition system will be replaced with a modern system, the carb will be replaced with TBI. Now just need the right numbers to come up on the Powerball.

Tom and Ray also diagnosed this problem on a car with a broken motor or transmission mount. It allowed the engine to move enough during a turn to cause a wire to short out against the firewall, fender, frame, etc.

2 Likes

I recall this happening to several customers back in the 70’s at the gas stations I worked in.

@mcellimonster1994_177312
You stated earlier that you also replaced the fuel filter. Perhaps a piece of dirt got through during the replacement. Just a thought to keep your eyes open for.