I got to thinking, what if I could have whatever gauges I wanted on my car’s dash? What would they be? I’m not saying it would have to be practical, not something a person would actually do. I’m saying what if I didn’t mind if the car looked like a 747 cockpit, full of all kinds of gauges, here, there, and everywhere.
Here’s what I was thinking:
- Voltage at battery
- Current to/from battery
- Coolant temperature
- Fuel pressure at rail
- Transmission fluid/lube temperature, I’d want this both for automatics and manuals
- Transmission fluid pressure at selected points (for automatics)
- Starter max amps/minimum voltage (captured each time, during cranking, to be on the lookout for starter/connection problems)
- Direction the car is pointed (Degrees from North)
- Grade of road
- Left/right slope of car
- Important AC parameters? … not sure what those would be, no AC expert myself. But AC seems to be a common problem.
- Scrolling display of pending and current Diagnostic trouble codes
Edit: Forgot these three
- Oil Pressure
- Oil temperature
- Oil level
What do you think? Can you think of anything else?