Car cranks, runs briefly on starting fluid, but does not run

@Nevada_545, I’m replacing the whole unit since my fuel gauge hasn’t worked since I’ve gotten the car, so I figured I might as well replace it all while I have it out.

I’ve used a gadget similar to this to start the siphon for transfering fluids. But never for gasoline, so don’t know how compatible it is for that use. It does develop a very strong vacuum.

George, I’ve got one of those, and I think it would be a good investment for @hwalk1498, for future brake work, etc. But I was wondering just how long it would take to drain 20 gallons through an 1/8" ID tube. Better than nothing I suppose!

I got everything replaced, but it still won’t go. I tried the test that @GeorgeSanJose suggested (fuel line to gas can), and I’m getting very little if any gas. Could something have happened to the fuel pump? I just replaced it, so I’d be surprised if it was the problem.

If you’re not getting a pretty good flow of fuel at the carb input during a cranking test, that’s almost certainly why it won’t go. You could rig up a gravity feed system as a test to prove that idea I suppose . Probably better to spend your time figuring why you aren’t getting good gas flow to the carb in the normal configuration. Something has to be blocked somewhere along the way. Start at the tank and work your ways toward the carb I guess,. step by step. Fuel filter, pump, a blocked fuel line, or maybe even a vacuum is forming somewhere.

You replaced the fuel pump for the second time and the new one won’t pump either? Feel for suction on the inlet while cranking the engine.

I have replaced the fuel pump once. My friend who works at a car restoration shop suggested that, for longevity’s sake, I convert to an electric fuel pump, so I’ll do that, and hopefully that will fix my issue.

I’ll also check for blocks along the lines and everything when I install that.

After all that, she’s running again! The electric fuel pump is working great. Now that I’ve replaced basically every component of the fuel system except the carb, she runs like a dream!

Way to go!! Congrads, you’ll be toolin’ along in no time.

1 Like