Car cranks, runs briefly on starting fluid, but does not run

Have you replaced the fuel hose connecting the fuel tank to the fuel line? When that hose crack and leaks the fuel pump will draw air though the leak, no gas. Also the hose to the pump was replaced, correct?

It is common for these old cars to accumulate a fine power of rust drifting around in the bottom of the fuel tank, a result of condensation in the tank during periods of inactivity. There is a screen inside the inlet of the fuel pump, the rust from the tank will block this screen. Take a close look at your old fuel pump to see if it is plugged with rust, if so the new pump may be plugged also.

I just want to caution you - you may already know this - if you need to drop the tank and remove the large nut to clean inspect replace whatever, use a brass punch so that you donā€™t make any metal to metal sparks.

The way I test to see if the carb is getting gas from the fuel pump on my Ford truck, I remove the rubber hose that attaches to the fuel filter at the carb. It just pulls off after loosening the clamp that holds it on. Then I route the hose so any gas that comes out goes into a one quart container. Then I crank the engine for 15 seconds. There should be quite a bit of gasoline thatā€™s been pumped into the container during cranking. If only a dribble get pumped during a 15 second crank, thatā€™s your problem.

All safety precautions about gasoline apply of course. For example, do the work with the car parked outside. Wear eye protection. Disable the ignition system by removing power to the coil. And keep a big & known to be working fire extinguisher near by.

1 Like

Iā€™m working on replacing all the fuel lines, but Iā€™ve run into the issue that I have ~20 gallons of gas in my gas tank right now, and the fuel lines come out near the the bottom of the tank. I donā€™t want to waste 20 gallons of gas by taking it to a recycling center or disposing of it somehow, so is there any way to make sure it is still safe for use? My father is adamant that we determine it is safe to use before putting it back in my car, or putting it in one of our other cars. Is there a simple way to do this?

@GeorgeSanJose, once I get the fuel lines replaced, Iā€™ll do that test and see if it is putting out a good amount of gas.

How old is that gas? If not too old you could sieve it to remove any debris first. Transfer it from the tank to a gas-approved container, then sieve it into another such container. In any event youā€™d at least see how much debris and gunk is in it. I have a funnel with a very fine mesh screen in it, thatā€™s how I do it. Suggest you secure such a gadget yourself. Coleman makes one I think for use w/their gasoline operated stoves. Even double-sieving that tankful of gas through a couple layers of an old (but clean) cotton t-shirt would probably do the job.

Gasoline safety: Outside, fire extinguisher on hand at all times & make sure to safely dispose of the gasoline soaked material so it canā€™t spontaneously combust.

Itā€™s only a month-ish old. Would something like this do the job?

I think that would be fine. Iā€™d only put five gallons or so into the tank once youā€™ve finished repairs, just in case youā€™re not done with repairs (weā€™ve all been there).

@OldcarsRbest, good plan :slight_smile:

So, interesting issue. I got a siphon pump (like this one) and I canā€™t seem to get gas out. I got longer tubing for the pump so I could get it down into my gas tank, but when I pump it, nothing comes out. When I pull the tube out, it has gas on it, so I think it is getting into the gas, and when i put my finger on the end and pump the pump, there is suction.

That thing may not have the oomph needed to pull gas up 4ā€™ or more of tubing.
Any way you can hook it to where the fuel line connects? Much more inconvenient, I know, but its travel path will be much shorter.

@OldcarsRbest The main reason I need to get the gas out is that the fuel lines right near the gas tank are super beat up and are falling apart, and they are fused to the fuel lines, so it seems any attempt to get the fuel lines off will just lead to one of the lines ripping and gas getting everywhere. Iā€™ll see what I can do, though.

@OldcarsRbest, so I got the fuel lines pulled off and I got the siphon pump attached, but it seems like Iā€™m getting suction, but not getting almost any gas out of the tank. Is it possible that something is plugged up inside?

I forget if that system has a fuel sock/filter - if so it might be plugged up.
Hopefully some of the old pros will weigh in here.

This is a replacement unit on eBay. Is that a sock on the end of the line (in picture 2)?

According to the Fix Your Ford book, there indeed is a screen.

Yes, looks like it is.
I hesitate to suggest, but I have had to on occasion siphon gas out of the filler neck with a hose with good old mouth suction, get a siphon going, then lower the hose straight into a gas container on the ground; below the cars tank. Once the siphon is started, gravity will take it from there.

Yeah, Iā€™ve been trying to avoid that for as long as possible, but Iā€™ll do it if I have to.

I saw some beefier vacuum units on ebay; fluid transfer pumps. But, they run like $60, and only have a 2 gallon tank on them-didnā€™t see if you could attach an aux hose, or if youā€™d have to stop and empty every 2 gallons. And thatā€™s a little too much money for a one time use.
I wonder if any of your parts stores have anything like that in their rental programs?

Iā€™ll take a look.

The fuel sock has likely fallen apart by now, replacements are available for about $4. If you are removing the fuel tank you should have a new fuel sock and sending unit seal ready for replacement.