Car body repair

A semi trailer backed into me while stuck in traffic on I75 in Kentucky. The truckers insurance company wants to pay me in cash. I got estimates and the damage is about $1,800. Should I take the cash and put it into the bank for another car down the road or should I have it fixed. The car is a 2009 Hyundai Sonata wth about 25,000 miles on it. I plan to keep the car another 3 to 4 years when I expect it will have around 80,000 to 100,000 miles on it.

Not enough info is known about this. I would be hesitant to take cash without having the car repaired first as many times there is unseen damage.

Since I assume the car has nose damage, and IF safety, lighting, and A/C condenser/radiator damage is not present you could just pocket the cash and drive it as is if appearance is not an issue.

If you owe any money on it yet, not fixing it is not an option. The bank, credit union, etc., needs to protect their investment until the car is paid off. Not fixing it though will likely cost you more in trade in value than having it fixed. What would you think if you were going to buy a car with 2 or 3 year old body damage that had not been taken care of? You’d think what else has not been taken care of.

Let the insurance companies handle it. That’s what they’re for. That way, you don’t have to worry about it, and you can ask for a rental while yours is in the shop. When the repairs are done, your car should be good to go.

Be sure one of your estimates is from a dealer. They’re going to be the most expensive, but they’ll also just replace every panel that needs to be replaced, and not mess around with off-brands, “suitable” replacements and the like.

I would repair the car and go through the insurance company, because like has already been mentioned many times there will be hidden damage that won’t be found until other damaged parts have been removed.

I agree with FordMan59, repair it throught thier insurance company. If you take the cash and then repair it you might not be able to get the truck company to pay for hidden supplement damage.

Your car is still new, dont be cheap, fix it before it turns into a total POC from being beaten up.