My 2000 Buick Century has a bearing growl in synch with the wheel rpm’s. I have uploaded an audio file of this, might anyone be able to identify it’s most likely cause? The growl is more distinct as I slowed down driving at the end of this videoclip.■■■ forbid it to be a worn transmission output bearing! I am hoping a wheel bearing or the plastic speed sensor inside the wheel hub…I have done these jobs before and can handle it. A tranny bearing is out of my league…
Check for a worn wheel bearing by jacking up the vehicle until the tire is off the ground, grab the tire at the 12:00 o clock and the 6:00 o clock positions, and see if the tire wiggles Or, slowly rotate the tire while touching the strut spring. A rough bearing will sometimes transfer the sound into the strut spring.
Tester
Thanks for your reply, Tester. I did jack up all 4 tires, wiggle each tire, no looseness. I rotated each wheel slowly, no roughness. But I will now grip the strut springs when rotating and feel for roughness. Last resort will be looking inside each wheel hub, beginning with front right, then left.
@gudenteit I’ve mentioned this several times before
It’s also been mentioned on the Cartalk radio show
I’ve used this and it’s pointed me in the right direction
