Car battery tested good . Replace ? (5yrs old)

Winter is coming 0-30 degree in central US. I tested the battery a couple of months ago and it tested good at autozone. Should I replace it regardless, now that it is 5 years old ? It can still fail in this winter right…or should I test it again when it gets cold? 12V.

How risk averse are you? The battery in my truck is 12 years old and still working fine. But my truck isn’t driven many miles per year and I live in a mild-climate. Not too hot, not too cold. It ain’t gonna reach down to 0 deg F here in San Jose this winter, that’s for certain. And it seldom goes much above the low 90’s in the summer.

In your case, assuming you drive your car say 15,000 miles per year, and the climate where you live yields 100+ degree daytime temperatures routinely in the summer, then yes you’d probably do yourself a service by replacing the battery now. It’s heat that really does in a battery by the way. But it waits to show up in the winter with a no-crank.

If you need a car that cranks reliably all winter, replace the battery.

With my newer cars, the battery barely gives any warning before going out. It is one last weak start and you notice it if you are observant. Mine did this last year and I drove directly to costco (had warranty) and got a new one. On my wife’s car, I had to go and jump her, not sure how the last start was but she might had not been paying attention.

I will just change it and call it a day.

Well here’s my take. Mine was about 4 years old and we were going to leave it at the airport in the winter for a couple weeks. I just replaced it. They usually don’t fail when its convenient. Our Acura was 3 1/2 years old. We had a funeral 200 miles away on a Sunday and the dang thing went dead at the gas station. Luckily the truck came quick and NAPA had one in stock so I only lost a hour or so. I will admit that I got a message a couple times to check the battery but the dealer checked it and said it was fine. I talked to a guy at the farm store buying a battery for his motor home and claimed it was over ten years old. So who knows. If mine get close to 4 years old and winter is coming, I like to start fresh for the $140.

I usually get 8-10 years out of mine but I live near Buffalo NY and we have never had a 100 degree day and some winters we don’t drop below -15F.

I own a jump pack and keep it in the car with the sketchiest battery. When the battery will no longer start the car, jump it and head to the parts store.

1 Like

My wife’s battery died yesterday without any warning. We replaced it when our battery charger failed to charge it. I checked the voltage coming from the alternator and it was less than 13VDC. I guess the battery killed the alternator or vice versa. Replace the battery before it strands you in the boonies.

I have had a battery suddenly fail after giving no prior indications that it was weak. While I can’t prove it, I think that no-maintenance batteries may be more prone to sudden failure without warning, as compared to the old-style batteries.

As was said, batteries usually have the knack of failing at very inconvenient times. Rather than risk being late for work, or for an important appointment, I would suggest that you replace that 5 year old battery before the start of winter. In fact, that is exactly what I did last year.

And another angle ;
If you’re already to the point of wondering this much about it. .
Taking it to get tested . .
Posting about it online . .

You’ve answered your own question.

Replace it and be done with it.

+1 to Ken’s post.
If you’re asking, it’s due.
Besides, sleeping well at night not worrying about your battery is priceless. :grin:

It seems batteries up and die in hot climates,In cold climates my experience has been an audible slowing of cranking speed, or turn signals when engine is not running. My car is one click start, but I can detect lower starter motor speed, getting close again, 8 years maybe?

I think the answer depends on how often you travel to areas that you could be stranded with a dead battery. If that’s your situation, I’d get a new battery now and just budget for a new one every 5 years.

On the other hand if you don’t travel a lot and you can get hold of a new battery fairly easily in the areas you go, then just keep testing it.

I would replace it. Consider it as an inexpensive insurance against pending failure.

One of my favorite toys is my battery charger. I bought it because I was in your exact situation. Now I love it because it solves a lot of problems I didn’t know I had. The only downside is it cannot be left to freeze, though there may be ones that can. LMK if you want to hear more about it.

Thanks to the web I now know that ( LMK ) means Let Me Know.

1 Like

Is this the OEM battery? What do you drive? I live in the Mid-Atlantic area and I get 5 years out of my batteries, even OEM, if the battery is under the hood. Our Cobalt has the battery in the trunk, and it looks like new and functions very well after 8 years. I wonder if weather and heat under the hood decrease battery life. It sure seems like a more severe lifetime than in the trunk.

I believe that you are correct!
Then again, if the battery in question requires periodic infusions of distilled water, placement in the trunk could lead to less maintenance.

I am reminded of the battery in the old Beetles which were located under the rear seat, and–as a result–were ignored by many VW owners.
Out of sight=equal out of mind for many car owners.
:confused:

Kids now days. Hey at least its not “LMN” (let me no).

2 Likes

[quote=“VDCdriver, post:17, topic:96315, full:true”]
I am reminded of the battery in the old Beetles which were located under the rear seat, and–as a result–were ignored by many VW owners.
Out of sight=equal out of mind for many car owners.
:confused:
[/quote]Ignored right up until the time the corrosion, aided and abetted by the unvented fumes, ate through the floor!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

LMK if it’s OEM ASAP and I’ll RSVP.

1 Like