Car battery lasts only 3 years?

I live in Florida and I still notice a slow crank before my batteries die completely. It might help that it’s a small 1.7 liter engine and a smallish battery.

Actually I’ve had three of them fail suddenly. I know the one was three years old but can’t remember what the others were. One winter, one summer, and one in the heated garage at work. Maybe there were more, can’t remember. Those were just the ones that were inconvenient, not at home in my garage where it was no big deal as long as the parts store was open.

I’m in Florida, too, but I’ve found the slow crank thing to be car-specific. Had 1 Ford that would just puke the battery all at once, 2 more Fords that slow-cranked 2-4 weeks before they failed completely. All in Ohio.

I’ve got one slow-cranking Saab right now waiting for a new fuel pump to be installed with a 2 year and 9 month Florida bought and used battery.

I like slow cranks, it gives me time to get a new battery before the wife gets stranded. Unfortunately the fuel pump beat the battery to it.

That would be a waste for me. I’ve never had a battery fail in fewer than 6 years (and I own a bunch of them, simultaneously). I do buy good ones, though.

I replace them between 5 and 6 years of age, while they’re going strong. Where I live it gets extremely cold in the winters and that’s when that old battery will go belly-up.

It’s easier and more pleasant to replace a battery on MY schedule, not the battery’s schedule. Shorts, tee-shirt, and cold beer is superior to freezing my _______ (body part or parts) off, perhaps in a strange place rather than at home where the tools and beer are.

However, never mind, my new life consists of “endless summer.” I have given up that cold weather crap!

CSA :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey! Mustangman!

Where in FL are you? I can’t remember.
We were going to get together for coffee.

We could have a Car Talk coffee meet for any regulars on here that are nearby. It would be fun!
CSA

Welcome to Florida. I recommend you get your new batteries tested at the four year mark. You might need to shorten your schedule.

If you’d like to make it a wholesome threesome, I live in Vero Beach, and I make regular runs as far south as Boca Raton and as far north as Jacksonville, but I seldom venture far from the east coast.

Fort Myers area.

Have friends in Vero Beach and now Cocoa Beach so I make it over the the east coast every now and then.

Going to hit Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach in April

We have an 11 year old Toyota with the original battery which still has the original load test capability. Our other car is a 6 year old Mazda, also with the original battery which starts the car at -20F.

People who sell batteries put out those ludicrous statements about changing your battery every 3-4 years. You change your battery when a load test shows it has deteriorated sufficiently to pose a starting risk. We do this every fall since very cold starts require a battery that is up to snuff.

That’s called “condition-based” maintenance and replacement.

Thanks Whitey!
I was there for the past month and a half. I lost the coin toss with my wife and I flew back (from Tampa) to the frozen northern residence (8 degrees and sunny this morning) for a few days and will be driving that little silver Grand Prix back down for the month of April. Besides, she doesn’t want to miss her water aerobics class, ha, ha!

I’ll keep close watch on the battery. Thanks for the battery tip.

I’m on the other side in Florida’s Sun Coast area. However, I could be up for a road trip. I have vacationed in St. Augustine, before.

1 Like

Hi, Neighbor!
I’m not too far away, a little north up the Sun Coast.

We are in Bradenton, not too far from Anna Maria Island! I ride my bicycle out onto the island and visit the beautiful beaches.

I went through (past) Ft. Meyers a little ways about a month ago. I ran down and bought 2 used aluminum Dahon folding bikes that I saw on Craig’s List. Actually, I went to Estero.

I’m in the frozen north for a couple of days (flew from Tampa) and I’ll be driving back to spend April there. Golf league starts here in the north in May.

We bought a condo with a view, “turn-key furnished” in an Executive Golf Course. It’s as close to what I imagined paradise would bee like. Sunshine and warm nearly every day. It didn’t rain for a month straight. My wife does not want to leave and I didn’t either. No maintenance. All play time.

I’m leaving a vehicle there and thinking of disconnecting the battery to keep it up longer. I’ll fly down in the summer and check on it.

2 Likes

CSA, you finally moved! Enjoy the warm weather. Who knows? In a few years, you might think 50F is cold, just like all your neighbors. Also, that 6 year time frame was for the endless winters in Yooperville. Now that you are in Florida, you will see battery lifeltimes closer to 3 years if your car batteries are under the hood.

BTW, how did you move the fleet to FL?

Thanks!
Endless summer because we kept the northern residence and will return there for summers. Winters in Florida.

I drove to Florida in our old Caravan. I flew back for a couple days and am driving back in the Grand Prix to finish out March and April.

Life is tough now. Two golf memberships and I have to be back up north by the beginning of May when Golf Leagues start up there.

Florida leagues are missing some guys until fall and then we’ll all be back.

You’re right about freezing @ 50F. I ride my bike around our community in a tee-shirt and Nike shorts every morning in FL and folks have jackets on, hooded sweatshirts with hoods tied, jackets on their little dogs, etcetera. That’s when it’s 65F! Ha, ha, ha!

Women cancel out of my wife’s water aerobics class when it gets below about 70 and the pool is kept at 86!

Hey, 50 IS cold!
Wait… I AM one of his neighbors, never mind… :rofl:

I’d love to see 50 right now. We’re expecting our 4th Nor-Easter in just 18 days. This one is only expected to drop 3-8 inches. Small one compared to the last 3.

1 Like

We’re getting the heavy stuff now that you guys got in the last 3. PA’s luck has run out this time

I feel for you and all the folks up north. Spring is here and snow shouldn’t be

But I’m glad I’m not in the middle of it anymore.

Yep, Tampa to Fort Myers (or anywhere in between) is a lovely day trip. My grandmother used to live in North Port. Warm Mineral Springs in North Port also makes for a decent off-the-beaten-path tourist destination.

To keep this car related, make sure you visit the Ford and Edison estates in Fort Myers if you haven’t already. When I first went as a child, it was just Edison’s lab that was open to the public, but the last time I was there about 20 years ago, the local government had bought the whole two estates, allowing for tours of both estates. It’s definitely worth the price of admission.

1 Like

We’ve had all those nor’easters too, although the only on with snow is underway now. We have about 6" and it’s supposed to continue until 10pm or so. Hey, I might actually use my snow thrower this year! BTW, it is a gasoline powered vehicle.

Agree. The Ford and Edison Estates are both open to tour. The lab is the most interesting to me but the gardens are fantastic.

A bit longer run to Naples gets access to the Botanical Gardens, The Naples Zoo, and my favorite, the Revs Institute, a fantastic car museum (www.revsinstitute.org).

But I am biased because I am a volunteer at the Revs.

1 Like