Car battery lasts only 3 years?

Just came across this video,

He mentions that the car battery lasts only 3 years and then he offers reasons why it should be changed. Just curious, how many experts here agree to it?

Thanks in advance.

My batteries typically last four years in Florida’s hot climate. If I lived in a hotter climate, like Texas or Arizona, I’d expect three years.

I don’t have a problem having a battery tested every 3 years or so . Wouldn’t automatically replace though .

1 Like

In hot climates 3-4 years is common, in colder climates much longer. Where do you live?

Where I live, batteries usually make it to at least four or five years. As I keep my cars for eight to ten years, I normally just replace mine proactively at five years.

I live in NYC. In my first car, I replaced the battery at the end of 6th year, although it was working fine, a thought of getting stuck in the winter morning because the car doesn’t start scared me.
I am more concerned about the explanation that he gives. If thats true then better replace the battery proactively.

I see no reason to replace a good battery prophylactically. I do see a reason to get your battery tested before winter.

If you’re so worried about getting stranded that you’re considering replacing a healthy battery, buy yourself a set of jumper cables or one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-600-Peak-Amp-Jump-Starter-J309/14560015

I think I get about 5-6 years in central PA. The winter cold seems to help preserve them nicely

His blanket statement that all batteries should be replaced every three years is way too conservative, in my opinion. I have no problem with you doing it after 6 years.

I’m a consumer not an expert but I’ve had them last anywhere from 1 to 5 years in Minnesota. If it gets to be 4 years I generally replace. On my last new car I got only three years when it failed to start the car again at a gas station, when I was in a hurry and under deadline. I don’t try to get every last use out of a battery but I do test them at least once a year now.

When I lived in Ohio, 5-6 years was common. I’ve been told by neighbors that in Florida they die in 3 years. A tow truck operator told me spiral cell AGM Optima batteries are almost un-kill-able. When the wife’s car needed a battery (about 4 years OH/FL time), I dropped in a square-cell Exide AGM instead since there was no Optima that would fit.

1 Like

He probably SELLS batteries!

Many poster here will testify that a good battery will easily go 5-6 years before needing replacement. The batteries in our 10 year old Toyota and our 5 year old Mazda are still the original, and still test right up to scratch.

If you live in Central Alaska and have many cold starts a 3 year replacement might make sense.

That guy is dead wrong about batteries. After the battery is 5-6 years old he may have a point. A certain percentage of batteries will have a very short lifespan from new. What happens if one replaces the 3 year old battery and happens to end up with one of that short-lived percentage?
I bought a new Sears Die-Hard and it failed (badly) the day after I bought it.

He’s also wrong about the 1/4 tank of gas. He’s right about the gas being used to cool and lube the pump but it doesn’t take a 1/4 tank to do it.
As long as the engine is running fine there’s enough fuel running through the pump to cool and lube it.

2 Likes

I get 4 to 5 years in Central Maryland if the battery is under the hood and it is a daily driver. We have yet to replace the battery in our 2009 Chevy Cobalt. It is a daily driver but the battery is in the trunk. I think the lack of engine heat and being away from the weather increases the life dramatically.

1 Like

In central VA, I typically get 5-6 years out of a battery. Doesn’t seem to matter what kind of vehicle, 5-6 years is what everyone tends to get.

8 years in Canada and cranking just fine.I guess colder temperature help extend battery life. Battery brand: Motomaster Eliminator from Canadian Tire.

Here’s support for the 3 year mark: prorated car battery warranties.

IOW, there are batteries warrantied for 60, 72, 84, or more months that give back full value only during the first 36 months. After that, the value is prorated, sometimes at only 50% starting with the day after 36 months, until there is zero value at the end of the warranty period.

Keep your battery as long as it starts your engine, whether that’s 1 year 3 years or 100 years and it doesn’t matter where you live.

I understand what y’all are saying about the temperature vs north & south I am in nw ga & I usuallly get about 5 year’s out of a battery twice I got 9 year’s once on the wife’s car a 2000 with the oem battery & just to day changed the 9 old year interstate battery.thar was in my truck I have been using interstate battery’s for years with good luck.

I’m about as pro-active as a person can be in regard to car upkeep but I think automatically replacing a battery every 3 years is monetary insanity.

5 Likes