Can't get to the battery in my Thunderbird

No offense but I think we are probably done here for now. There was a simple solution requiring a spare battery or charger and crawling under the car a little. But we still are bent on towing, a lock smith, the dealer, breaking a window, or cutting the top. Now we are into buying cameras. Bye.

1 Like

I agree we’re done here . . .

but in my opinion an experienced lock smith with the proper tools for the job would have used the procedure that @thegreendrag0n mentioned . . . all without hooking up a booster pack, jacking up the car to access the starter, or what have you

and those devices have been around for quite some time now . . . which really makes me question the experience and competency of that tow truck driver op talked to

One more time;

Did you decline the lock-out service when you were told there is a risk of breaking the door glass?

Once you get in, I suggest that you investigate why the procedure in your owner’s manual shown above didn’t work and get that fixed before this happens again.

He had tried his inflatable bag and hockey stick as another responder called it - yes, I declined. The window was visibly flexing and the glass has scraped the paint off his hockey stick door opener. It wasn’t a tow company, it was a locksmith. I think the solution may be to call a tow company if I can’t manage to get into the trunk. :crossed_fingers:

It’s in a garage, unfortunately it is 46 degrees and raining heavily. I have a jack (from my suv), and two ramps. I thought the ramps with chockblocks on the front wheels would be safer than a single jack. I suppose I could borrow another jack from my neighbor.
The locksmith did try the inflatable pillow and hockey stick thing but there was too much pressure still on the glass…but I also agree with the people who seem to think he might not have been the brightest bulb.

no go . . . this is what I’m talking about

Wait! Wait!

None of those tools have the Snap-On label on them!

Tester

1 Like

Thanks - I don’t have anything like that. I wasn’t able to locate the trunk release mechanism. I couldn’t get a tow truck to respond within 3 hours and got annoyed waiting in the rain. Weather won’t be nice until maybe this weekend so I’m going to try again on another day. Thanks to all the responders and all the kind suggestions!

A lot of cars with factory trunk-mounted batteries have a positive post under the hood for jump-starting purposes. If you could get the hood open you could hook a battery charger to the positive post and a ground, and that would give you enough power to open the doors.

2 Likes

Just curious, if you get the hood/trunk/door open, what is your plan then? You still have a dead battery.

Jump start it - the car was stored for the winter, so I assume it just needs a jump. Otherwise, I guess I will buy a battery.

How to jump a 2002 T-Bird.

How to jump a Chrysler.

If battery is located in front of left front tire.
How jump a GM vehicle.

If battery is located under rear seat.

Tester

Well that’s disappointing. I’ll add that to the long list of things Ford has done that annoy me. :wink:

I wonder if clipping a 12v charger to the positive lead on the starter and body ground might give you just enough juice to get the doors unlocked.

A battery too dead to open a door latch is toast IMO. You may be able to trickle charge it back to life but its capacity is likely below a reasonable threshold. Jump starting the engine and relying on the alternator to charge a completely dead battery may add to your list of woes…

Shouldn’t the mechanical key open the driver’s door? If so, need to fix that as well so as to not repeat this situation.

1 Like

Well yeah, I’m not suggesting the battery should be used. Just get enough power into the system to get the doors unlocked so you can get the trunk open and replace it. :wink:

Gee, about ten posts ago. Then open the trunk, unplug the charger, and replace the battery. Self-reliance. No tow needed. Next year, don’t shut the trunk or the window, or hook a battery maintainer up, or run jumper cables to hook a charger to.

Yep - me too - but I can’t figure out how to get the hod open any better than I seem to be doing with the trunk. Next year I will just leave it unlocked and crack a window, maybe leave the trunk open too…I definitely won’t have this problem next year.

That’s a good way to invite rodents into your car, so that’s a bad idea. Why don’t you have the key issue fixed as I suggested above instead? Furthermore, you really should be using a battery tender or disconnecting your battery if you can’t do that.

Not sure of the electronics on this car but jumping to the starter motor post may cause the starter motor to start cranking. Evidently there is not a positive connection point under the hood for a jump if one got the hood open. The plan b for access to the trunk and battery appears not to be working either. So what would I do? Redneck hillbilly I am, first would be to manually open the trunk, maybe you can detach the cable for the trunk release and use a pair of vice grips to pull the cable if it is not an electronic switch. If it is electronic cut the wires, give it a 12v dc pop to open it. Fix wires later. next last hillbilly resort, backfeed the system with a simple 9 v battery that silly one with the press on connections, one needs to find an always live circuit, with wires you can get to. Pos to Pos, neg to ground.