Canadian speed control

"Barkydog,
@Renegade seems to disagree! So does USA today!

I know for a fact Pa. and Ohio did it as I got a warning in both states I learned after the second warning to take a coffee break at one of the service plaza’s to kill time.

As I said it was that way when I was still working I know a lot of thing’s changed since then I noticed that the USA today article was dated 2014 long after I retired.

1 Like

That refers to people speeding through the EZ Pass Zones, not how fast they’re driving on the rest of the toll road. Trust me, before the Turnpike prices went nuts, I used to drive it to Philly somewhat regularly using EZ Pass and I was driving 75-80 long before the increased the speed limit to 70. Never got a ticket (nor a warning for speeding through the EZ Pass lane)

When we see those empty LEO cars, we reduce our speed. Instead of 20 over the posted limit, we cut back to 15 over. Very effective.

1 Like

That’s not possible for most Maryland toll facilities. No one pays going into the state, but everyone pays going out. The one exception I’m aware of is the Bay Bridge, where we go from one part of the state to another, but the toll is one way too. If the driver only pays one toll, how does the state know that anyone is speeding?

Almost everyone is speeding, of course, most of all the police. In my experience, the police are the worst offenders for tailgating, too. Why should ordinary citizens obey the law if the police don’t?

In NJ, it seems to me that it’s pretty rare to be ticketed for speeding on any of the interstates at this point. The posted limit is 65, I usually set my cruise control for 72 or 73, and–still–a lot of cars are passing me at a much higher rate of speed, and it is rare to see someone being pulled-over.

On the other hand, on roads where the limit is 35 to 45 mph, it seems fairly common for people to be snagged for speeding. Perhaps the difference is that the state troopers aren’t too concerned with speeding, but various local cops are interested in writing those tickets.

That’s the way it was before Covid. But seems the police have a lot more time on their hands that I’m now seeing a lot more vehicles being pulled over.

I was thinking about highways since that was the subject of the rest of my reply. I occasionally see county police speed traps, but the seem to hide pretty well. I went out for happy hour with a group from work. A coworker brought his wife, a county Mountie. She said she sat on a side road I used often. It’s residential, but a main road. Her job was to bust speeders. I never had an encounter with her or her coworkers as a speeder. I save that for the highways.

I got a speeding ticket in IL on the interstate, Was not part of a group, but probably 70 in a 55, but 70 is a speed that can get you rear ended, For $75 take a 4 hour traffic class, and ticket will not get reported. Now if you get another ticket, you can do an 8 hour class, and if you get a third ticket in a year and go to court the judge can grant another 8 hour class to not have the ticket reported. I was out of state driver but it was worth it to me to go to a 4 hour class and not have the ticket on my record, for insurance costs alone! You have to ask for traffic class at the time the ticket is issued.