Can you take the turbo out of a Veloster for better mpg?

I also had a post about the same thing flagged and removed.

I will not quote from anything that I “heard” unless I can find a reputable source to confirm it in print or online.

1 Like

You keep calling him a “troll”, though. Not real nice, man. So I can see that getting flagged. Not that I flagged it. I’m more of an upfront confrontationalist rather than a flagger :nerd_face:.

Saying someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about, on the other hand…well, that might indeed be true in certain circumstances.

So one’s more personal and name callish than the other.

My take anyway. But you may disagree and think that I don’t know what I’m talking about. :grin:

I just call em as I see them as I believe you do to and no I don’t disagree with you.

Hey John, I’ve got a question that you are the resident expert on. I’ve got 10 mopar alternators from the 60’s and 70’s sitting in the garage- Does it pay to sell them at a scrap yard or just throw them in the trash?

Same question about 6 brake drums ( i assume cast iron) quite heavy.

1 Like

I think electric motors (alternators and starters included) are around 13-15 cents/lb. The cast iron drums are around 8-9 cents/lb. That’s in north Mississippi. Would be a few cents more in some metro areas, I’d assume. So, not huge money, but you’d get a few bucks and wouldn’t put it back in the landfill.

I have tried the recycling route, rather than spend the gas I leave stuff on the curb for the scrappers to pick up.

Thanks John.

Thank you Barky. I shall do the same.

1 Like

That works too. Some poor ol fella will appreciate that $10-$20.

I sell a bit of scrap here and there. Hey, I’m going to the scrap yard anyway, right?

I don’t save aluminum cans, though. Nope. Not gonna mess with that!

1 Like

I had near a paragraph and it disappeared, hit the wrong key I guess.

Got $1.40 for a half horse furnace blower motor, had to upgrade when ac put in to 3/4 horse. Had a 6 foot cast iron sink, City has 4 free bulk pickups per year but does not take cast iron. Put it on the curb, guy comes to the door, do you want this? no I said let me help you load it. Switched over to cpvc, old galvanized still in the basement. Guy would come remove it for free, wife says no strangers in the house. Bud and I did the cpvc, after a few accumulations of stuff from dead grandparents and parents, can’t even get to it now. Anyone want some beads? Or Necklaces my MIL used to do that, they had the receipts and tags for $1400 of unused stuff for a refund, but have a whole load more.

I’d like to know more about how much torque is actually added. I was able to find this 2.972 How a Torque Converer Works which has a graph at the end showing torque converter efficiency. But I assume this graph is for driving on flat ground under light load as there would need to be different graphs for different output load conditions, since it would make the speed ratio versus RPM differ. In that situation it looks like the peak efficiency reached by the torque converter is 90%. It does surprisingly well even with a speed ratio as low as .7 under whatever load condition that is!

Starts at the left side with the output at a standstill, then left to right output and engine pick up speed to no load, which would be a slight decline (on a real road).
Speed ratio versus RPM will vary with throttle position, which looks fixed for this graph.
I think the curves are interpolated from SR 0.95 up.
Good link, BTW. From MIT.
https://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports.html