Can this tire be repaired or do I have to buy a new tire

Several early posts mention it.

5 Likes

I think we’re talking about a worn tire. Generally worn tires won’t warn you before they fail.

2 Likes

Do you get your car serviced (oil/filter change, etc.)? I’m very surprised that the servicing people have not warned you about this very dangerous situation with your tire(s). I think you need to learn a bit about keeping your car in good, safe operating condition.

Agreed. Usually when you see that much wear at one edge it’s worn that way because of alignment issues, regardless of the cause of the alignment issue. I can’t see the whole tire either but if the other edge is as worn as the one in the photo, it would have to have been run really low for a long time to get that way, agree? My point was to emphasis the importance of having the alignment checked vs just throwing a new tire on and assuming it’s fixed and, worse yet, assuming it won’t do the same thing to the tire. I may have missed where others have said to have the alignment checked. I scanned the thread quickly and could have missed it, if so, my mistake.

Wayne

First, have your front end realigned or repaired. Then junk the tires and replace

Go directly to tire shop… Do not pass go. Do not collect…, Well maybe stop by your bank. Collect $200.
And in the future, pay attention to your vehicle, and/or have a shop regularly maintain it.
Preventive maintenance is generally cheaper than major repairs, or in the case of a tire blow-out, hospital bills.

The metal you see was originally implanted under the rubber to strengthen the tire. So, what you’re looking at shows the rubber completely worn. And yes, that would be dangerous to drive like that.

A few years ago I saw a young lady getting gas whose pickup truck had both front tires in this sort of condition. I told her they were dangerous. She said her husband said they’d be fine. I asked if he was the beneficiary of her life insurance policy. Of course I got an icy stare. She left as l filled my car. About 15 minutes later, she was pulled off on the shoulder with a blow out. Luckily she was able to keep it under control. (Remember not to jam on the brakes, slow down slowly, when yours blows out tomorrow.) She was out of the truck, on her cell phone. My guess is her husband was getting an ear ful.

Can never forget waiting in line at a Sears, " I could have gotten another 300 miles if I had not driven on the gravel"

Yeah but everyone should know how to change a tire. It was spring and the snow tires on the 60 Falcon were pretty bald. My dad said they’d be OK for a trip to see Grandma in the nursing home 10 miles away. Made it only 8 miles before the tire gave up. No problem with control though, just pulled off the interstate, changed the tire, and on my way. In those days snow tires were pretty well shot by spring.

Told it before, dad parked his car in the garage not locking back then, thieves stole the snow tires off the back, so he got new tires and decided to back it into the garage from the alley in Duluth Minnesota ca 60’s, Then they stole the battery. My dad not being the most mechanical guy bought a new battery, got the connections reversed, and tried to pound the smaller clamp on the wrong side and the post went through the bottom of the battery :weary: