Can the dealership repossess my car if they didn't collect the full sales amount?

Yes, we tend to be harsh with people who ask us if they legally have to pay up on their obligations. And yes, we make assumptions based on the question. But, in fairness to us, I’ve never had anyone ask me a question like yours who was NOT hoping to find a way not pay up.

If you, after having checked with your bank and discovered that they actually had only received $6K, had then contacted them and made good on the remaining amount, the dealership would owe you an apology for having made the error and having put you through the additional effort to clear the bill. My guess is that isn’t what happened. Is my guess wrong?

Oh, and by the way, you would still owe the pizza guy his due.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Put yourself in the pizza guy’s shoes.

@Norska; So you are willing to punish the dealership $2000 because of a clerical error.

Just coming here and asking if you are responsible for the $2000 is why we questioning your morals.

Also, if they had overcharged me, how much trouble do you think I would have trying to get the money back a couple of months later? I guarantee that they wouldn’t be running for their checkbook with a happy smile.

Now you feel that you are justified in questioning their morals and honesty.

Yosemite

No, I didn’t discover their error. And they didn’t apologize.

“If you, after having checked with your bank and discovered that they actually had only received $6K”

Assuming you’re referring to my above-quoted sentence, change the word “discovered” to “verified”. But I suspect you knew what I meant the first time.

So, I assume that everybody here immediately turns themselves in to the sheriff whenever they see that they are 1 mph over the limit.

Off topic here, but how do you go five weeks without noticing an extra $2000 in your checking account, assuming that’s where your debit card is linked to?

Ah, good question. There is a lot of money going into and out of that account.

Norska, the two are in no way analogous.

To make your analogy more appropriate, if you were exceeding the speed limit by 25% and were not caught, nobody would criticize your not turning yourself in. But if you get caught, you should accept responsibility for it and pay the ticket. Especially if you yourself been a part of the speed limit decision before it was posted and had agreed with it before it was posted.

Man up.

So, I assume that everybody here immediately turns themselves in to the sheriff whenever they see that they are 1 mph over the limit.

What a piece of work. When I check my bank transactions (which I would be watching like a hawk following a transaction like this) and see a $6k withdrawl for an $8k purchase, I know what is going to come home to roost so I proactively start making calls. I don’t sit back and hope it will go unnoticed and then try weaseling out when it doesn’t. Any one who can afford to “miss/overlook” a $2k mistake in their transaction summary and has “a lot of money going into and out of that account” certainly shouldn’t have any issues with a mere $2k…

The fact you haven’t paid it and are looking for apologies tells everyone about your true motivation and morals…

In other words, you would not feel obligated to turn yourself in for breaking the law.

Again, my true motivation and morals have nothing to do with this question. My original question had to do with a point of contract law, such as would be given in a law school class. I never stated that I wasn’t going to pay this, or was trying to find a way out of paying this.

No matter how much back-pedaling and rationalizing the OP is attempting, it is clear that his intent is to NOT pay what he owes. If that was not the case, why would he even be asking if the car could be repossessed for failure to pay the missing $2k?

It was a question of contract law. It is not clear that my intent is not pay, because I DO intend to pay, and intended to the moment that my bank verified the error last night. I guess that this is not the forum for hypothetical questions about interesting situations.

Bull.

I was born, but not yesterday.

My original question had to do with a point of contract law, such as would be given in a law school class.

Yes they can repo the car. And going to your “point of contractual law.” is exactly why they can. You signed a “contract” to purchase a car for $8000, you only gave them $6000, therefor you didn’t pay for the car, it is not legally yours. You can argue all day about whose fault the error is is but at the end of the day, what the paperwork says counts, the contract was not fulfilled and is not valid anymore. I also believe that if they really wanted to they could even get your title and registration revoked, since technically these were issued either on false pretenses or in error. But that is just this mans opinion. Thanks for letting me vent.

At the very least, the dealership should apologize profusely for wasting the OPs time. They should probably also return the OPs dealer handling fee because the OP paid a the fee believing that the dealership was going to “handle” the paperwork correctly. The dealership wasted hours of the OPs time; the OP should be compensated. Since most of the posters here instantly conclude that the OP is trying to weasel their way out of paying, I have to assume that those people would be weasels themselves.

I don’t understand what could take “hours” to straighten out.

Alwin, the original question was whether the dealership can repo the car if the OP doesn’t pay the additional $2000 that he agreed to but which the dealership erroneously did not withdraw from his account at their first transaction. The OP clearly did not want to have to pay the additional two grand.

I can only speak for myself, but IMHO the question, and the reason for it, was clear. When some of us responded that the OP owed the money and should pay up like a man, he had difficulty accepting the responses.

I understand from your post that you believe the dealer owes the OP an apology when he still owed the dealer $2000 and was resisting paying up? And I believe he should have simply owned up to his agreement and paid it? Which one of the two of us sounds like a “weasel”? The one who says “man up” or the one who calls the one who says “man up” a weasel?

You may want to rethink your assumption. Your thinking is backwards.

I check my bank accounts on-line every 2 or 3 days. My bank rarely makes a mistake (3 in over 30 years) but they were substantial. Recently a utility charged a late payment fee. I checked my account and they had cashed my check 2 days before the due date. I printed a copy of the processed check and included it with my current payment. It did not take “hours”. If I put $8,000 on my debit card I would have seen the $2,000 mistake in a couple of days and everything would have been corrected in a couple more.

At the very least, the dealership should apologize profusely for wasting the OPs time.

Yeah, those 15 minutes are worth what?

They should probably also return the OPs dealer handling fee because the OP paid a the fee believing that the dealership was going to “handle” the paperwork correctly.

The paperwork was handled correctly. The car is titled and registered in the OPs name. Executing an EFT for the full payment wouldn’t be considered “paperwork” IMO.

The dealership wasted hours of the OPs time; the OP should be compensated.

Yeah, right. I get a call or email stating ‘we made a mistake and only withdrew $6000 instead of $8000 (I probably already know this) and would like authorization to withdraw the remaining $2000’.

Now I spend 5 minutes checking my account transactions, realize they are right and call them back to authorize the remainder via EFT. Hours??? Really??

Since most of the posters here instantly conclude that the OP is trying to weasel their way out of paying, I have to assume that those people would be weasels themselves.

Yeah, instead of the above scenario, instead I go to the internet and pose “hypothetical” questions regarding weaseling out of the balance. The OP STILL hasn’t paid it BTW since they just said “i do intend to pay”… right…

I also don’t understand how “5 weeks” in OP’s first post became “months” in later posts.