Can my car survive harsh winters?

In most of Maine, the Scion in plowed areas on tarred roads will be fine with winter tires. AS VDC points out, weighting a car is ONLY for rwd/4wd vehicles and then only over the rear drive wheels. FWD is one of those systems where the more weight you put in the back, the worse the traction. But, NOTHING beats driving experience, so find a good neighbor to drive with you a few times and get lots of winter driving pointers and SLOW down. If you live in hilly terrain on unpaved, always snow cover roads and late plowed roads, you may have problems.

Since you now disclose that you will be driving in an emercency setting that changes things from the “lets go visit Grandma” type trip. I suggest you talk to other emergency workers about adapting your Scion too 100% got to make it status. The Scion would not be my choice when this type of service is demanded.I have seen full size 4wd Blazers modified for 36"+ tall tires equipped with chains all around handle right at 24’ of not plowed snow, but it still was tough going, even for an experienced driver, espically when you run into drifted snow and that will happen on private drives if you just happen to get there before the owner plows his road with his dozer. Lots of snow and undeveloped areas in Siskiyou County (at the top of CA.)where I did my most extreme snow driving. People accepted that there are conditions that are just not passable.

You can try and apply the “lets just stay home today” mindset when it is blowing hard and the trip is not a emergency.

I just thought of something, we are talking about snow and Mike has not chimed in, I hope he is all right.

“…we are talking about snow and Mike has not chimed in, I hope he is all right.”

Me too. He lives close to Bridgton from his descriptions of home in NH

Bridgton is far enough out there that I would have two cars, a 4wd truck to go with the Scion. Otherwise, as everyone has alluded to, you pick and choose your travel days and you’ll be fine, 95% of the time. It’s that other 5% that many buy 4wd/awd cars and only if they can afford to, have two cars. In snowier areas of Maine or elsewhere, you see a lot of fwd compacts parted next to a 4wd truck in many drives.