Can I use a Brake Fluid Bleeder for engine oil?

Mine were all factory stock. 1990 Mazda RX-7 GTUs, 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS, and current 2010 Kia Forte SX. The only unusual scraping was the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse which ground off the horizontal bottom of the air dam when exiting some parking lots.

1 Like

@Beancounter . This still doesnā€™t mean that the OP will get all the way to the bottom of the pan.

Yosemite

1 Like

Totally agree itā€™s not an optimal solution but weā€™re talking using a glorified turkey baster vs. $30 for something that actually works.
And itā€™s so cheap and easy to use that hopefully the original poster wonā€™t be tempted to ā€œsaveā€ by postponing or going the cheepo special oil change route.

1 Like

I have that problem with two vehicles I currently maintain. I solved it with a piece of scrap 2x10 PT. I cut the board into about 18" long pieces with a 45 degree bevel cut on one end. I have old steel ramps with a rolled edge that just fits over the edges of the 2x10. I put the 2x10, beveled edge to the tire to make a ramp up, then drive the car up onto the 2x10. That gives me enough room to slip the ramps up to the tire. Then I drive up onto the ramp.

1 Like

Then Iā€™d pay a shop to change my oil.

This is a perfectly legitimate reason to farm out the work.

3 Likes

I priced ramps , and would also make extensions so my low vehicles would go up them . Oil and filter plus it is a 20 mile round trip to dispose of the oil .Just not worth it for me plus the place I use washes and vacuums the vehicle.

1 Like

Iā€™ve found the price difference between my local indy shop and me doing it myself isnā€™t worth the time to even dig out my jack stands.

2 Likes

My metal ramps slide on approach on my smooth concrete floor. Homemade wood ones work fine. (And I own a 4 post lift) The ramps are faster !

2 Likes

Someone has a lift and wants to crawl on the floor ! OK Fine.

@VOLVO_V70 , I heard that @37chev just likes the feel of the cool concrete on his back on those hot summer days. Iā€™d do that but all that dirt stuck to my permanent fur, back there, would get all dirty.

And if I use as creeper Iā€™d get all that hair caught in the creeper wheels. It was tough driving to the hospital with the creeper between the truck seat and my back, so they could cut me free.

I tried to drive to the Beauty Parlor insteadā€¦it was closerā€¦but they said that they donā€™t do BACKS!!!:open_mouth:

Yosemite

1 Like

Just get a lift installed in your garage, driveway, backyard, hell living room why tf not. Put one under your bed to get that perfect angle of sleep to massage the pain from laying down for oil changes out. XD :wink:

1 Like

On my wifeā€™s 2012 Malibu (2.4L 4cyl) the oil filter is accessed from the top of the engine. She has a drop in cartridge filter.

1 Like

On one of the car ā€˜whatā€™s it worthā€™ shows somebody brought in a 1950ā€™s ā€˜oil vacuumā€™ with the Mobil logo on it, used at a gas station. Some ideas have been around foreverā€¦

1 Like