Can I tow a camper?

I’m terrified because I have no idea what I’m doing.

If it was a little utility trailer in the next town over, it would be a fun project and I could be the big hero who shows up with the truck.

2 Likes

Then the answer is don’t do it. Your brother has other options.

2 Likes

There is almost always a solution to most any problem, and lucky enough in your brothers case, U-Haul has many different size solutions to chose from…

2 Likes

Just to be contrary I think it first depends on the trailer weight. I had a 2000# camper without brakes and towed with rwd, and fwd on freeway, through hills, on snow etc. with no problems. True they were v8 or v6 but still, 90 miles is not very far. You simply make allowances and drive and stop steady. Loading weight to the front to avoid fish tailing and avoiding high winds is more important.

2 Likes

Brother might borrow the truck while the OP is asleep.

Well, yeah. The OP stated it was a 21 ft trailer. Unless the trailer has been gutted the weight will be around 4000lbs. There’s a ton of difference between 2000 and 4000 lbs. :grinning:

3 Likes

Rented a skid steer, 6k lbs with trailer, trailblazer was 5500 lbs rated, had an extra connection under the hood for trailer brakes, never connected, mostly flatland but no mention in MN. Moving 18 cy of sand to the beach, stopping a little slow on 1 big hill but all went well.

Geez. I rented one too but the guy said I couldn’t pull it wit the car. Paid an extra $10 for delivery. Less than five miles. They used a pick up.

In that case it doesn’t matter what the truck is capable of, you shouldn’t do this.

2 Likes

Was that a walk behind, cause the average weight is 7500# not counting the trailer… But yes I know they do make some small ones also… lol

You think you’re terrified now, wait until all heck breaks loose towing something close to the limits with unknown hardware and no brakes. I’ve had things go wrong towing under the best circumstances. Something you’ll never forget that’s for sure…

2 Likes

No no, a regular bob cat. I’ve rented several over the years and a ditch witch once and a d7 dozer.

No, a regular sit in the cab type. RT-25

• Operating Weight 3755 lbs | 1703 kg
    Plus
    trailer and 48-inch Dirt Bucket

OK thanks, that makes more since now, it is a compact small design, one up from a walk behind…

The RT-25 is the world’s most compact track loader. The smallest machine of its kind, the RT-25 features superior suspension, minimal ground pressure and maximum productivity.

But it looks perfect for small jobs around the house…

1 Like

In 76, my neighbor owned the equipment rental place. When I was doing my outside railing he brought over a hammer drill for drilling concrete free of charge. I’ve been a good customer ever since.

Terrified though is getting on a d7, going down the hill and finding out they don’t have brakes. Put the blade down son.

One final thought and most folks do not think of this when considering the weight of a trailer.
What is inside, are the water tanks full, what about the gray and black water tanks? Did they add extra furniture to the trailer; the sundry items, dishes, pots and pans, storage cabinets full of can goods. What about the closets, clothing, shoes, and boots. And perhaps the worse places to look are the under floor storage bins accessable only from the outside… They often include tools, jacks, lawn furniture, umbrellas, tents, fire wood, and maybe even stones for bricks to build an outdoor fire pit…
A 3.000 pound trailer can easily weigh 10,000 pound when fully loaded and that is way above it’s carry limit, let alone the tow capacity of your little truck…

@texases thought of it two days ago.

1 Like

I am sorry, I call myself “LoudThunder” but I did not mean to steal your “Thunder…” Yes you did mention it and I missed it as I glanced through all the postings. I saw so many posting about engine size and brakes, etc… andI was thinking about how I use to pack my trailer and did not worry about the weight as it had adequate brakes and I was pulling it with a full-size Dodge Ram 2500 with Diesel…

Mia Culpa… 5 lashes with a wet noodle… L :roll_eyes: L . . .

Everybody has a different risk tolerance. I pulled a tree limb down with my car once too. Broke the rope a couple times but got it down. You use was you have to do what ya have to do.

1 Like

The 300 is detuned to get people to buy the larger engine! It’s only about 155 horsepower, but it would be 170 if was set for full ignition timing advance. There’s an add on you can buy that will boost it to 170 something just by advancing the timing. Even though it is computer controlled, they have it set to perform like mechanical ignition from the 70s.

The 300 will also have no problem doing 200 HP with force air induction!