Can dealer turn down a cashier's check

I think that if the OP can afford this vehicle and the outrageous insurance premiums then that is fine. I have done the same thing . Now when the time comes I will not be setting on the front porch of a nursing home wishing I had bought that Corvette convertible or that really fast sport motorcycle . Because I did.
You only live once and if you do it right that is enough .

6 Likes

The only car I “fell in love with” that wasn’t really practical was the 1963 Studebaker Avanti. I was in graduate school at the time living on $200 a month.
I am now at the point in my life where I could buy almost any vehicle I want, but there aren’t any vehicles I really want. I grew up in a rural area and every vehicle had to have a practical purpose. I can’t shake this pragmatism. I drive a minivan because it’s functional for me. We had four French horns and a tuba along with music stands and five folding chairs last Sunday as we headed off to play a band concert. I couldn’t carry all my musician friends and their instruments in an Avanti.
On the other hand, I am drooling over a $7000 Alexander horn a friend wants to sell to me. I am debating whether to buy it. I guess if I liked driving as much as music, maybe I would look at cars differently.

2 Likes

So let me see if I understand what’s going on here.

You tried to do business with an organization that seems less than reputable.

They basically gave you the run-around and treated you like they don’t desire or appreciate your business.

Now you’re looking for a way to force them to do business with you? I don’t see the point. There has to be another dealership somewhere that is willing to do business with you, and if there isn’t, I’d rather not have that particular car than do business with a dealership that treats its customers the way you describe them treating you.

Don’t reward them for treating you this way by continuing to do business with them.

8 Likes

In the late '70s one of my college roommate’s father had one, and I fell in love too.
The grill-less front was compelling.
The fact that I didn’t have a driver’s license yet saved me from straining my wallet.

What @Whitey said. If a retailer of anything, goods or services, can’t find the time and energy to deal with me before they get my money, how can I possibly expect them to be cooperative after they have my cash in their greedy, grasping hands? Walk away. Your only decision should be how fast you walk.

2 Likes

there is a whole lot of truth in this.

When I was in college, working part time and trying to get a good tool get started, I went to Sears and applied for a credit card. I had always avoided credit cards, because I didn’t want a lot of debt, so toss that in with my age, and my credit score wasn’t very good. Sears declined me.

8 years later, I had spent and paid off over $20,000 on tools and boxes to get myself running. I do have some Craftsman tools (LOVE my wrenches,) but the majority of them are not. Sears didn’t want my money, so they didn’t get most of it.
oh, and once my credit started rising, Sears started sending me pre-approved offers for Sears card. Never did get one.
now, 25 some years later: I’m still a mechanic, and still buying tools. How is Sears doing??? :smile::smile::smile:

8 Likes

Bought my Titan back in May with a Cashiers Check, without any issues. They were, however surprised that I did not want to finance. I always pay cash for my cars.

2 Likes

One complication-off you pay with actual cash, or a combination of cash and a check, that can trigger additional forms to ensure you’re not laundering money.

May not be smart, but nothing illegal. There is no law that dictates what type of payment a business has to accept. These days there are businesses that don’t even accept cash.

In defense of the dealers, which I’m not, I’ve seen enough counterfeit Cashier’s Checks, bogus Wire Transfers (which were called back), bad credit card payments and problem Cash payments, to understand their suspicions. Then when you add an unknown out of town buyer, with limited credit history and an in demand car (easily transferred or stripped) then you’ve got all sorts of red flags flying.

Then it’s easy to understand why a dealer would decide that, “the cars not leaving the lot until I have Good Funds in the bank”, generally a 3-5 day wait. Yeah, maybe you’ve lost a sale and the salesman has lost their commission but that’s a lot better than losing a $30,000 car that’s probably now in a container on it’s way to somewhere in the 3rd world.

2 Likes

Yup!
I don’t know about their policies in other states, but in NJ, Costco gas stations only accept Visa credit cards and Visa debit cards.

Well there is a law actually like I said before. On every cash bill if you look it says “This note is legal tender for all debts public and private”. I understand some folks don’t like to take cash or large bills but the federal banking system makes it quite clear. You don’t have to take Libra or bit coins or checks or Euros, but you do have to take cold hard US of A federal bank notes.

You should read up on that. The marking on money is for debts not payments for merchandise. I suppose if they let you walk off with it and pay later, it would then be considered a debt. Google it, merchant can dictate acceptable payment for merchandise unless state law says otherwise

OK then, pay with a Visa card then send $100 bills to Visa to pay the “debt”. One caveat though, the business must inform you of their policies for cash before the good or service is rendered.

This only indicates that an XXX Dollar bill is a legal piece of paper and can be used to pay a dept in all States. There is NO federal law that can force a business to accept cash.

Yes you are correct as Turbo indicated.

I use very little cash, I pay everything I can with credit cards to harvest the credit card rewards unless the business charges a fee for paying with a credit card. I have tried to buy new cars with credut cards but the most I have been able to get a deaker to put on a credit card is a $2500 down payment. When I buy a car, I won’t discuss financing until we have settled on the price first.

I won’t take a credit card that charges a fee, and I pay the bill in full each month so there is no interest.

I had a friend who was a member of BJs Wholesale and bought almost all his groceries there. He got rewards points for everything he bought there and paid every bill in full.

At the end of his first year they sent him a statement that shower he had generated 0.00 in interest and fees in his first year and cancelling his card because they could not afford him as a customer.

I only go to the bank about every month and a half to withdraw the little cash we use.

That’s OK but I had to work too hard to pay everything off and I know how easy it is to let the charges go another month or two. Like an alcoholic, I just avoid using them except for on-line or travel or car rental. My wife does that though to generate air miles, but I still just shun them. I hate it when kids use them with the same story and I fear where that might lead them. I remember when there weren’t any Visa or Master card. All we had was a department store and gas card and I think people were in better financial shape. So I think that’s great if people can take advantage of the free stuff but for me, I don’t go into bars or charge. I do like green cash though and it’s harder to spend than with a debit card.

1 Like

I ordered furniture once from a furniture store that went bankrupt. Fortunately I had made the deposit with a credit card so I got it back, Many customers who paid by cash or check were not so lucky. They became unsecured creditors.

Many of them had furniture in the store or their warehouse that had not been delivered yet. They could not get that furniture, it now belonged to the secured creditors (banks). It is very rare for unsecured creditors to get any money in a bankruptcy.

Yup!
That is exactly what I do, and I am able to collect about $700 in cash-back rewards each year. However, this plan is only practical for those with self-control regarding purchases, and awareness of payment deadlines.

I knew a woman who “saved money” :smirk: by paying cash for everything. She had to drive to the bank 4 or 5 times each month in order to replenish her stash of cash, thereby wasting a whole lot of gas–and time–in the process. I couldn’t afford to “save money” in that manner. :wink:

+1
The only time that I need to go to the bank is to cash a check that I received in the mail, and that works-out to
 probably only once every couple of months.

2 Likes