Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Can an air chuck be used as a quick release?

I bought a tire inflator/air compressor with a digital readout for home use. It’s pretty slick–you dial in the pressure you want and hit a button and it stops when it reaches that pressure.

The hose has an annoying screw-on fitting like this:

photograph of an air hose with a screw-on female Schrader adapter

But I’d much prefer the “snap to lock” adapter of tire pumps from yesteryear or even the squeeze adapters that gas stations have. I’m letting several pounds of pressure out as I attempt to unscrew the adapter each time.

I’m wondering: can I get an air chuck (specifically this) and use it as a sort of “quick release”? How does the chuck depress the plunger in the valve?

I would think loosing a couple of pounds of pressure is a high estimate. I have one like that, sure you loose a little air, but not much. The chuck does not depress the plunger in the valve, the air pressure from high, the pump side to low the tire side pushes the plunger open. Old click and clack story, dragsters were loosing tire pressure, it turned out the wheel was spinning so fast the centrifugal or whatever force was forcing the plunger to open. Mine wth that fitting was like 20 bucks, you might consider buying one with the fitting you like.

You can buy a quick release air chuck for $4 from Harbor Freight tools.

There is a pin inside the air chuck that depresses the valve core to add or remove air.

I’ve never been satisfied with those @Nevada_545. Even on a Coats tire changer they could be annoying but hooked to the quick connect on the end of a shop hose they just never seemed to stay connected and required holding it in place so what’s the sense in having it? The flip up quick connect on some bicycle pumps work well but I’ve never seen one for sale.

That won’t fit on to the hose from my pump. Both fittings on that chuck are female

There are other styles available but you will need to buy the necessary fittings to connect the air chuck to the hose.

You could just overinflate by the amount that you’ll know you’ll lose in removing the hose.

Do you lose less air if the inflator is still running when you remove the hose?

Buy a bicycle pump replacement hose that has the clamp on gadget, cut off the annoying fitting from the existing hose, and attach the pump hose to the existing hose using an insert and some hose clamps.

I purchased one of those bicycle pump replacement hoses for a car tire application myself. I use it when I want to totally deflate one of my car tires. Just clamp it on, come back in 5 minutes, job done.