Can a traffic signal's YELLOW interval be less than 3 seconds?

Wow! Never witnessed that degree of stupidity.

Farmers will often use the freeways (actually tollways).
But rather than logically travel in the right lane or right shoulder, they will use any lane, frequently bringing vehicles behind almost to a stop or causing them to have to slow and go around.
Are farmers jealous of automobile drivers and of passengers who get to ride in comfortable busses speeding by at 90Kph?

Chinese police are worthless. They will see the farmers in the other lanes and not tell them to use the shoulder or right lane.
Then, tragically, a farmer gets killed because a Chinese truck has worn brakes and fails to stop in time.

Thank you for giving everyone a few more reasons to NOT drive in China, Robert.

Thank you for giving everyone a few more reasons to NOT drive in China, Robert.

It’s great fun! Just understand what they do and you’ll be fine.

I hope that they adopt American driving laws (right of way rules) simply to reduce the horrible pollution of their driving so inefficiently. Constant stop and go. No wonder brakes are worn out.

“Just understand what they do and you’ll be fine.”

Understanding is one thing, and predicting is another thing entirely.
How does one predict what bizarre, unsafe maneuvers will be displayed by people who frequently have absolutely no concept of what constitutes safe driving?

We have an intersection near us that was dangerous for pedestrians because a lot of cars coming too fast over a hill couldn’t or wouldn’t stop if the light was turning red. Pedestrians were often well into the intersection when an idiot roared through the red light. The solution was adding a second or two between that light going red and the others going green. I see far fewer close calls now. Simple and effective, though it didn’t save an old man hit by a bicyclist who had completely ignored the signal. He got a reasonable sentence and won’t have much time to terrorize pedestrians for a couple of years.

I know in DC the length of the yellow doesn’t matter since between the bicycles and pedestrians in all the intersections regardless of the light color, the cars can’t move to begin with.

I see that a lot on the East Coast. In San Francisco it can be hard for drivers to make turns, but thst is just because there are a lot of pedestrians crossing when they’re supposed to. When someone is run over it is usually by someone making a turn who saw a gap in the oncoming cars and didn’t even check for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Hsppens a little less often on right turns, but it does. Most of the close calls I’ve seen have been when both driver and prdestrian have the green and the driver doesn’t even slow down to look.

They’ve been redesigning some intersections with a widening of the sidewalk where the crosswalks start (basically widening it out in front of/behind the row of parked cars) . People waiting to cross are more visible when they are out near the edge of the traffic lanes instead of well back, concealed by parked cars. It also shortens the distance that the elderly and disable need to get across to safety. I don’t know if studies have been made, but it seems to make sense. I know I appreciate it. Not only can drivers see me waiting to cross, but I can see speeding drivers and avoid stepping into the street in front of them.