Can A Standard ignition Car get jump started by a car With a Keyless Ignition

Li-ion has been on the market for a pretty long time. Cheap Li-ion is what’s new. Most of the li-ion fires in consumer electronics like those hoverboard things have been caused by cheap, poorly designed and built battery packs.

I personally wouldn’t worry if the Li-ion pack were from a reputable brand. I have a number of Anker external batteries with a combined 200,000-odd mAh between them that I have never had a problem with, but they’re very well designed and the company does not skimp when it comes to proper battery construction. They make a jump pack - I wouldn’t worry about carrying that around in my car.

I enjoyed reading some of your comments on whether it is good or bad to know about cars… I think I agree on some level but on the other hand… If I use something everyday, Depend on it actually…you can bet I will educate myself on that piece of Hardware…it only makes sense to me.

I honestly would NOT feel comfortable in any way shape or form if I did NOT know about cars and as much as possible at that. Do you really want people who know nothing at all about how a machine operates to be using that machine on their own and in the company of others? I wouldn’t. But maybe I’m being too harsh about this ?

All I can say is that if I ever had children they would most assuredly know what is going on inside the car…how it operates…and how it functions…in addition to knowing how to drive it as well. I believe it gives people an upper hand in a big way and helps people stay safe and help keep other people safe also.

I understand that todays cars as so reliable that they are virtual appliances… older cars especially the first cars required a TON of operator knowledge and interaction and awareness… As cars developed that requirement lessened steadily.

I think any and all can understand when I say that I want people to know about cars because they would be safer drivers in some way…more in tune with things…and not be one of those people who believe in Superstition to keep the car running properly. When people are clueless…we as mechanics always get some funny thing that people will relate to how the car runs or what keeps it going. You get statements like… "When I turn on the radio…hit the brake 3 times…get out…get back in, turn the wipers on and off 2 times and then proceed to drive… THE CAR RUNS PERFECTLY… If I don’t do that ritual…its a crap shoot… LOL… Know what I’m saying? I think informed drivers are better drivers.

Blackbird

Meanjoe, you appear to judge very harshly anyone who doesn’t know the things you think they should know. I cannot imagine who has anointed you with such wisdom and with the right to judge others, but I’m certainly glad I don’t have to carry that burden. I imagine that overseeing everyone would be a huge load to carry.

First, that wasn’t me who posted above you. If you take exception to the post, direct your umbrage accurately. Second, I do not recall “judging” anyone directly. Third, you have, in the past, been terribly judgmental re: somebody violating YOUR “pet peeves,” generally stopping just shy of Sharia Law for anyone having a glass of wine with dinner, over the limit or not.

Look: for whatever reason, you’ve worked yourself into a tizzy! That’s not good. Why don’t you have a nice bubble bath, your favorite adult beverage, and come back fresh, with a fully-functional attitude adjustment?

Speaking of batteries, I’m still kicking myself over my most recent replacement.

Truck found DOA one morning, battery at 0 volts. Since it was 11 years old, I just figured it had died abruptly of old age. Bought a replacement, verified proper charging system function and called it a day.

Two days later, after driving it each day, found DOA the next morning. Again 0 volts. ??? Now perform parasitic draw testing and find a fault in the seat circuit. Fortunately, careful recharging brought back the new battery to full capacity. No harm, no foul.

It may stick in the craw of those who advocate proactive replacement but I feel cheated out of the natural death of that battery, It was on track to have the record age for any battery I have owned. Only 3 more years left to go! :wink:

@asemaster quote { I’m quite proficient in automotive electrical and electronics. } Help me in my jeep thread .

Nice try, meanjoe, but I’m not responding to Honda… I’m responding to your pontificating about how every “driver” has a moral obligation to know how their car works, and every homeowner has a “moral obligation” to know about CO. That’s bull.

By the way, Meanjoe, do you even know why CO is toxic?

^Because it has a stronger affinity to hemoglobin than the O2 it competes with…so much so, that it will not readily “disengage” the hemoglobin, and effectively takes hemoglobin “off the active roster” until the CO can be pried off. It is one of the four forms of hypoxia; specifically, “hypemic hypoxia.”

What do I win?

This otherwise could be an interesting subject. As Bill Watterson once put it, “most ignorance is willful,” and we could certainly have a though-provoking philosophical discussion about (say) the moral culpability of somebody who has a brake-fade accident, as a result of not downshifting, as a result of ignorance of the etiology of heat-induced brake fade.

HOWEVER, what spoils this otherwise-inviting opportunity is the fact that (for whatever unknown reason) you get your hackles up at the mere suggestion that “willful ignorance” has an associated moral component, leading you to “kill the messenger” in such a situation. I don’t know why this is the case–it just is. “Why” really isn’t my business anyways–fairer to say it’s a matter between you and your pastor/shrink/bartender/significant other/etc.

Sienna’s were designed with a committee of women, according to Toyota. It is not possible to leave a light on in a Sienna, period. After so many minutes a computer turns them all off. Even a dome light.

It is also very hard to lock your keys in a Sienna. Try to lock a door when the computer thinks its a bad idea, and it instantly unlocks itself again.

Some might object to this level of baby-sitting. I do not. Life has too many distractions and if the design stops it from happening, I say more power to the designers.

^ I don’t dislike that level of hand-holding directly, @irlandes . The only problem I have is that there’s a “contamination of knowledge” problem when transitioning BACK to a vehicle without such a level of automation. To wit, drive a car with “automatic headlights” for a month, then go back to driving a car where the light switch is merely a (logic-free) mechanical switch–watch your odds of leaving the lights on skyrocket.

Meanjoe, you win nothing.
And I’ll not continue this debate, but to add that when you state that all drivers have a “moral obligation” to learn how their cars work, as you did, than you’ve coupled lack of knowledge with a moral component. Twisting my words, and twisting your words, as you’re doing, is accomplishing nothing. Your harsh and unfair criticism of people who don’t understand how their cars work remains on record, and it’s wrong.
My own conscience is clear. I judge people by how they treat others, not by how much they know or don’t know. Try it.

Back to cars.
My current car automatically shuts the lights off, but most of the vehicles I’ve owned didn’t, and I can only remember leaving my lights on once, years ago in my '89 pickup. In my case I always turn my lights on whenever I turn the engine on, and have for as long as I can remember. I like the fact that it makes my vehicle a bit more obvious to other drivers even in good weather. Perhaps this habit is the reason I almost never forgot my lights; shutting them off when I shut the engine off is part of the habit.

Asemaster- a car is much more complicated machine, I don’t understand how someone who understands cars as well as you do doesn’t easily understand home appliances, furnaces, plumbing and home wiring just by looking at them. They are all pretty simple compared to cars.

@“the same mountainbike”

My own conscience is clear.
How so?

You (in a very condescending way), called me out about CO…assuming that I was ignorant of it. To put it mildly, that did not play out the way you’d hoped! Now, I may be “coarse”; I may be “direct”…but I NEVER would belittle you, or any other member of this board. (Skewer your assertions, sure…but NEVER you, personally.)

Now, at this point, I believe I am owed an apology. The fact that your personal attack on me “blew up in your face” is not, IMHO, sufficient cause to not to proffer said apology for the personal attack. At this point, all withholding such an apology would do is further make you look petty, which is a shame, because I’ve always held you up as one of the more ethical members of this board. Whatever got into you…well, I still don’t know what got your nose bent out of shape, and I probably never will. The fact remains, personal attacks are out-of-bounds on every forum I’ve ever been a member of.

Your harsh and unfair criticism of people who don't understand how their cars work remains on record, and it's wrong.
Huh? I already said...as honestly as I can...I'm coming from a position of love (or at least empathy). If you think I'M "harsh" or "nasty"...try getting a "check ride" at an airline! That's from a point of empathy, too: the examiner cares enough about the pilot, and the "souls on board," that he wants to be HARSHER than anything the "real world" could possibly throw at said pilot--if he survives the checkride, odds are good he'll survive IRL.

Now, such an examiner may come across as “nasty” or a “hard-a$$,” true. I’m sure that, on April 10, 1970, Cmdr Lovell considered his examiner to be both of those things. My question to YOU is: on say, April 18, 1970–do you think Lovell retained the same opinion?!? Or do you think he wanted to THANK his examiner for being so “nasty” to him? (Had the examiner been “kinder” during check-rides, would’ve Apollo 13 had the same outcome, or not?)

NOW, I appreciate that this sort of thinking is counter-intuitive–to a civilian–and I would not be amazed at having to explain this–to a civilian–but I NEVER thought I’d need to “spoon-feed” it to a vet! This attitude is the “stock” pysch profile of all Drill Instructors in the history of ever! (I care enough to want as many of these men to come back alive as possible; I’ll do that by training them to the highest level I can…and I’ll do THAT by making the next 10 weeks of their lives a living hell!)

Oh, and BTW, our aviation safety record is orders of magnitude better that our non-commercial driving record. Your typical motorist could do a WHOLE lot worse, than to approach their driving with the same level of professionalism and arduousness(?) that a commercial pilot does!

Give it up Meanjoe. I’m not going to play your game.

@"the same mountainbike"
I’m disappointed in you. I was hoping you’d apologize of your own volition.

The fact remains, calling me out, personally, is abuse, and contrary to the rules of this (and every other) forum. Therefore, it is necessary to flag the out-of-bounds post accordingly. I want to go “on record” and say I gave you a fair chance to do the right thing, and you chose not to.

For future reference, please feel free to skewer my ideas; NOT me personally. I afford you that courtesy; I expect and demand the same in return. Also appreciate I’m entitled to my own opinion, regardless of if you agree with it, or not.

@“oldtimer 11” Asemaster- a car is much more complicated machine, I don’t understand how someone who understands cars as well as you do doesn’t easily understand home appliances, furnaces, plumbing and home wiring just by looking at them. They are all pretty simple compared to cars.

Very simple indeed. Most home appliances even come with a wiring schematic inside the panels. I wish cars did that. I have repaired my washer, my dryer, electric and gas water heaters, furnaces, heaters, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc. I have rewired and replumbed bathrooms and kitchens, and I fixed my 55 inch plasma screen TV. But you know what? I’m tired of it. I’m an automotive technician and run a business. I work 10 hours a day and sometimes half a day Saturday doing that. There’s no reason under the sun that I should lift a finger to do all these other things if I’m making a living fixing cars. If my chosen profession doesn’t allow me sufficient income to hire out things like this, then I need to find a new line of work. My computer guy doesn’t fix his own car, he’s busy all day fixing computers and installing networks or whatever he does.

If everyone did everything for themselves–including cooking and cleaning–the service industry would grind to a halt and the economy would collapse!

Ordinarily when two regulars get into a disagreement I prefer to let you resolve it, but this one is persisting. If you’d like to continue, TSM and meanjoe, please do so privately. It’s distracting, and it isn’t really proving anything to anyone. Thank you.

Edit to acknowledge an edit above: I do agree that everyone is entitled to his opinion, and that the other should critique ideas and not the person.

@asemaster: I think you sell yourself short! I know you can’t be “an expert at everything,” but if you found open splices and flickering lights in your attic–you’d suss out something was amiss PDQ. Same with your furnace–you’d I.d. a dangerous one without much ado, I’ll bet.

And that’s all I really meant: just that a homeowner ought to be “mechanically literate” enough to know when things are approaching FUBAR status, and de-FUBAR it, one way or another. A motorist, too, should be mechanically literate enough to recognize when a wheel’s about to depart the vehicle, and see to it that it’s remedied in a timely manner! (NOT a hypothetical, BTW…actually happened to a clueless co-worker.)

If you’re blessed with a mechanical bent, spending a bit of your spare time “boning up” on the safety items, in an attempt to keep everyone safe…is at least a little virtuous. Opting NOT to do so…well, it’s not “strangle a puppy” immoral–but it doesn’t exist in a moral vacuum; I don’t see how it COULD.

Besides, gaining knowledge is simply awesome in its own right! I have always found real-world applications for everything I’ve learned over my life (Kantian imperatives? yup, used it IRL. Even quantum mechanics “paid off” in letting me “get” more of the jokes in The Big Bang Theory.) Learing stuff is simply “adding a tool to the toolbox in yer skull”–that’s just “a good thing” by default!

Jumping a battery can be dangerous even if done correctly. One exploded in my dad’s face and nearly cost him his eyesight.

On any car built since the late 1980s, you should NOT start the good car while jumping a dead car. Absolutely do not connect the cables while the good car is running. I know it works better to have a couple of extra volts, but sparks and dramatic voltage dips while the key is in the ON position are really hard on sophisticated electronics. It is bad enough to have sparks and dips when the key is off and the good car is just powering its memory chips. That is why a portable jump start system is much better.