Can a choke cable be legally used to set engine throttle to a certain position?

"With todays technology spread widely over the industry I've gotta bet there realy is a hand control kit in existance which would still allow foot control too."
Probably. Buthat is far morexpen$ive than a choke cable.

Wish thathengine RPM could be simply electronically controlled andisengaged when the brake pedal is touched.

Robert, These big V-8s usually have pretty long legs. What is the cruising RPM in overdrive at 65 MPH? If it is cruising at 1500-1700 RPM and downshifts to 2200, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it downshifts to 3500 RPM or something, I can see where this would be annoying. I’ve known people to get obsessed with low RPM to the point where it works against them.

If a hand throttle is installed it would probably need to move the accelerator to function. And a joystick that controls the accelerator is available now for handicapped drivers.

I really don’t see a problem…we all have a hand throttle. Both my cars with cruise control can, at the touch of a button, vary the speed by about one mph with each tap of the wand up or down or hold for a pause. I use it frequently to moderate my speed when driving with the cruise when driving at one speed is too fast or slow.

“Doesn’t the computer limit maximum speed on late model vehicles to well under 100 mph?” --maybe on a few, but not on most. Small econobox cars are usually “drag limited”, meaning that wind resistance and friction limit the top speed. The little engines don’t have enough grunt to go any faster.

I think my current car is governed to around 130 MPH, mostly for insurance reasons. The “Euro-spec” version is governed to around 150 I believe. I think AMG vehicles (the high-performance division of Mercedes) are governed to around 155. And of course there are cars with no speed governing whatsoever, such as the Bugatti Veyron.

Maybe requiring cars to be governed to <75 mph would improve highway safety.

I will just add that if want to continue 100 MPH cruising, even on deserted highways, that you make sure the tires on that thing are in good condition with no dry rot, proper tire pressure, and speed rated.

A tire comes apart at that speed and there’s no telling when the wreckage will stop tumblin’.

Many years ago I picked up a 12" nail in the rear tire of a motorcycle at 85 MPH while going down a hill on the Interstate in eastern Oklahoma. The tire went down in just a few seconds and I guarantee you my heart was in my throat for the duration it took me to get that beast stopped; and that was roughly a 1/4 mile. Superior riding skills had nothing at all to do with it; just sheer unbridled luck kept me from sliding that entire 1/4 mile on my face.
Matter of fact, it took an additional 10 minutes for the heart to stop pounding and drop back into the chest cavity where it belongs. :wink:

If traffic in either direction on the Interstate, I slow (coast) so that I do not surprise anyone or involve anyonelse if I crash and burn.
The tires are visually inspected daily and pressure measured weekly while listening to Cah Talk, so that time is nototally wasted. Tires are 42.5 psi. 44 is maximum pressure.
Also check everything else. Displeased that I can’t check transmission fluid level or quality. Would check level only after a trip if I could.
Except for emergentransports, thExpedition is driven very gently. When I depart I have idle move the vehicle down the street. No accelerator until I continue from the STOP sign.
Gentle accelerations from red signals and stop signs. I look ahead and anticipate and coast as much as possible instead of braking.
Always in the right lane out of others’ way.

Not a good idea and like someone said its moot because you have a drive by wire and no mechanical connection. I think if it is shifting down too much, you maybe need to take it out of overdrive or you are driving too slow, or maybe your CC is not operating properly. I have never had this issue except in very hilly country where you shouldn’t use cruise anyway.

I do remember back in the 50s and 60s, there were throttle kits available for carburated engines like the mechanical choke cable. We had a 54, 57, ford, 61 merc, 60 falcon, and none of them had a factory throttle cable.

Wish that I could produce signals which mimic the signalsent by the accelerator.
A selector switch would send different signals, one signal sets thengine to an RPM which produces a 45 mph speed on level ground, another 50, another 55 mph.
Then have the brake pedal open and disengage that circuit if touched.
Would be nice to know the ideal engine RPM/wind resistance vehicle speed and produce a signal creating it.

@OK4450: A similar thing happened to a coworker of mine when I was younger. His back tire blew out, not sure of the cause, but I do remember noticing how bald it was one day. I remember him coming in to pick up his paycheck with BOTH arms in a cast, wrapped up to his chest, and his foot in a cast. He looked like a mental patient in a straitjacket that had just escaped. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet, though it was debatable whether there was anything in his noggin that could have been damaged anyway… We had to open the door for him and help him into the passenger seat of his buddy’s car.

@Robert Gift: I think you’re better off leaving it alone, but the ‘fly by wire’ throttles use a potentiometer to measure the accelerator angle. (basically a variable resistor) If you’re savvy enough, you could probably build something to mimic the resistance at the angle you desire. Or you could end up with wide open throttle suddenly with no warning if you do it wrong. On a lot of modern vehicles (I know Mopar vehicles do this), if you apply the brake, the software will nullify any accelerator input and return the engine to idle. Not sure if it will do this for light braking action or only a hard stop.

This in not what you want but is what you are looking for.
Predictive Powertrain Control

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-658451-1-1491206-1-0-0-0-0-0-12080-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

Trade in your Explorer for a Freightliner.
Your mileage might vary.

Don’t give me any ideas!
If it is merely voltage-controlled, I can design a circuit that can mimic that voltage or signal. If it requires return signal verification, that complicates everything. I’m also afraid of affecting the computer.

My circuit would be switched off with a touch of the brake - connected to the brake light switch. I adjusted the switch so the brake lights illuminate when barely depressing the brake pedal.

Already have thExpedition. Needed for cargo area size and 4WD for transports in blizzards.
This vehicle is called for transports on highways and Interstates when closed due to adverse weather.

Here is a start
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/36459/PID-process-control-a-Cruise-Control-example

and some more
http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~murray/amwiki/Cruise_control

Best of luck

Thank you, M.
Fortunately, I my case I seek only to control engine RPM with no anticipation and feedback requirements.
I’d also have to make two circuits to assuredly switch off the throttle signal by brake light.

More fuel would probably be saved by removing the light bar after a delivery. I have removed and stowed it beforeturning long distances.
But it is long and heavy and in the middle of the night I am too tired to remove it.

I have an idea. How about totally ignoring the idea of cruse control and just use your foot to control the speed of the car??

"I have an idea. How about totally ignoring the idea of cruse control and just use your foot to control the speed of the car??"
Best suggestion of all! On long transports my right leg and buttock hurt. En route to the hospital I can't get out and run around. On the way back I don't wanto stop and run around.