Ctuise Control

I have a ‘97 Dolphin 33’ Motor Home with a Ford 460 fuel injected engine. Is there some way to convert the cruise control to just a throttle control? I want to maintain throttle position, not necessarily speed.

Don’t mess with the cruise control. Instead, have a shop (or yourself) install a simple hand throttle, similar to a choke cable as used on old vehicles…Marine parts might be adaptable for this purpose as marine engines use hand operated throttle controls…The last part of the linkage that connects to the throttle lever should be bead chain so it will not interfere with normal throttle operation…

I would strongly recommend against this. Your cruise control system is designed such that when you hit the brakes it immediately disconnects, allowing safe emergency braking.

Unless you’re enough of an engineer to be able to include such a system in your throttle control, you’d be seriously compromising the safety of your vehicle. My guess is that if you were that engineer you wouldn;t be asking this question.

You could just put an AUX throttle control cable in. PTO equipped vehicles most always have these or a solenoid that acts as a throttle kicker.

I would avoid those manual controls like a hand throttle.  I would love to be the attorney representing the other side if you get involved in an accident with some jury rigged throttle holder.

If it (AUX Throttle cable) were being used for driving the vehicle, I’d say no way. Is this for an idle speed control (i.e. charging system)? I’ve worked on many of those Class A 460s. They’re really overloaded hauling that hulk around…rarely have I seen one of those engines make it passed 30K miles w/o major repair (always cylinder heads /exhaust manifolds) I know when you’re driving them the throttle may as well be an on/off switch with no “in the middle.” The gas pains must be bad too.