Camry 04 headlight

Just looking to check my diagnosis and approach. The (left) low beam is out, but the Daytime Running Light works. The Owners Manual says that DLR system turns on “headlights” at lower level, and show separate fuse for Low Beam headlight and for DLR system. So, I think the problem is in the low beam fuse. Agree?

(As to why the fuse failed, I just hope it’s old age and not something subtle.)

I think the problem is more likely the bulb, not the fuse

Thanks. I’d guess that, too, except DLR is working, and I think it uses the same bulb.

I believe DRL uses the high beam filament

Have you even checked the bulb first, before assuming the fuse is blown . . . ?!

1 Like

I figured out the easy way to determine which bulb DLR uses – turn it on, and look (Duh!). If you are right, then I’ll change the bulb.

(I’ve been spending a lot of mental energy on figuring the easiest was to differentiate between bulb and fuse. I am kind of fuzzy-headed this evening from a touch of COVID.)

I had covid a little over 2 months ago . . . take it easy for a few days

You’ll be back to your usual self in no time

db4690 is a double winner!

1. DRL is, indeed, the high beam. The failed low beam bulb has been replaced.
  2. I’ve been taking it easy for a couple of days now. Symptoms are only “bad cold”, and seem to be abating. When I had COVID a year (or two) ago, I was wiped out for a couple of days, then on day 3 I was out doing yard work.

Thanks for the head-clearing help.

2 Likes

Sure

you’re welcome :smiley:

Next time, you can always swap bulbs from side to side to see if a bad bulb or not… Me, I just buy and install a new bulb and see if it works…

But yes, a lot of if not most/all Toyotas use the high beam bulb with lowered voltage for the DRL’s…

Get well soon…