'Cadillac's Last Stand? Storied Brand Aims (Again) for Revival'

Can you please keep the Fox/cable news talk out of the discussion? I know this is a subject that elicits a lot of passion on both sides, but when people are trying to redirect the discussion to car topics and you bring it back up again, people can’t help but want to reply. Thanks.

2 Likes

Have you seen a Nissan Armada (the only SUV that is apparently as big as Spain’s Navy…) or the identical, truly overpriced Infiniti QX-80?

Those bloated travesties have a front clip so elevated that it is difficult to imagine how the tiny women drivers (all of whom seem to be clutching a cellphone to their ear) can manage to see the road in front of them.

When I see one of these vehicles that is painted white, all I can think of is a Beluga Whale.

:thinking:

1 Like

@VDCdriver Yes. Like you, they make me think of whales. While real whales are magnificent marine mammals the SUV is, in my opinion, downright ugly. Their size may have commercial use but when I see soccer moms hauling groceries I just have to wonder why they need to drive a beluga.

1 Like

That ain’t nothin’. Bring back the International CXT! Now that’s a big truck.

IMG_0024

1 Like

Wow! Does it come with an extension ladder to climb into and out of?! :grin:

Reminds me of the giant eight to twelve foot diameter tires that go on vibrator-thumper trucks that do seismic searches for oil and natural gas deposits. The thumper plate weighs two tons.

That remind’s me of a time year’s ago I was sitting in my truck at a truck stop my paper work another truck pulled in next to me the driver opened his door & dropped a rope ladder to climb out he was about 4 ft, tall.

1 Like

I remember those it was a road tractor with a pickup bed.

Don’t know what games they are playing with the tv commercial but on the RAM site to build that truck, it’s ~$1000 option.

Wow I missed a lot today. I had one of those power trunk pull downs on one of my Rivs. I can’t say as I remember anything bad about it but not sure I would have paid a lot for it. It gave you a second or two to get your fingers out of the way anyway.

I hear tail gates are in great demand on the black market. Or at least security people pushing anti-theft devices. Who woulda thought there’d be a market for tail gates. I guess that’s why I like my trailer. Low to the ground makes loading and unloading or shoveling rock a lot easier. And the payload is comparable to a truck. I watched that poor guy on TV loading up plywood on his truck in preparation for the hurricane. He had some pretty good muscles but it wasn’t easy throwing those sheets up on the truck. But hey, ya gonna spend $50-60,000 for a truck I guess might as well have a fancy tail gate. In addition to the heated seats and stereo system.

That tailgate is only on the GMC Sierra. Don’t know what you are looking at on a RAM site.

The post mentioning the $1000 price directly follows my post and begins with AND. That’s 6 or so posts after the initial mention of the chevy tailgate. The picture on the first frame is a RAM Rebel with split tailgate that just happens to be $1000 option as well. So that’s why I’m on a RAM site checking…

Looks like chevy has it as part of two trim packages starting around $4000 depending. They go up from there. One of the trims was $5k+. Commercials usually feature the highest trims to lure people in. So I could see how deleting the tailgate (plus trim packages associated with it) could add up to $10k. Very misleading…

My bad, sorry about that. I thought you were talking about the GMC tailgate.

I didn’t watch the video, but that Ram looks like it’s got some sort of ambulance doors thing going on back there. I’ve never seen that. I don’t think I like it. What are you supposed to sit on while you drink beer and watch your brush pile burn?

I apologize for not being more clear initially. I’m hoping to see the ad you mentioned. I enjoy reading the fine print gotchas on ads…

You should watch the vid. It opens multiple ways just like all the others. Pretty interesting bit of mechanical engineering.

Interested in your opinion and experience on something. I’m about to scrap an 03 Camry. Runs, only 96k on it. Been sitting mostly so now it developed exhaust leak, has crack in windshield. Other than that is in fair condition. Expect to get offered $250 for it. I also have a 12hp lawn tractor with blown engine. Finally croaked after 27 years. I want them to take it as well. I have 4 separate winter tires on steel wheels for Camry to sweeten the deal. Before I propose to them, interested if you think that’s reasonable request. Thanks!

Scrap prices in this area are around $130/net ton ($6.50/hundred lbs). That’s just scrap metal to a yard with no intentions to salvage or reuse anything. 2 tons would be $260, but I think you’ll have less than 2 tons. I don’t have any idea if prices are comparable in your area, though. If delivered here, I think you’d get around $220 (just guessing total weight at 3300 lbs and I may be off) but we wouldn’t take the loose wheels with tires on them.

A salvage yard that deals in used parts would pay more for the car. I don’t think the price you’re asking is out of line at all.

I’d think the car would bring $1k “as is” on Craigslist if it runs? But you might not want the hassle.

If you do decide to scrap the car, the cat converter is probably worth $50 or more by itself. But you won’t get credit for it unless you pull it off the car and sell separately.

If you were nearby, I’d pay your price. If I couldn’t get the car running, I’d sell the converter, car, and alum wheels separately and at least break even! :+1:

Good luck, hope this helped.

Yes, very helpful. It’s an auto salvage but also deals in scrap metal. Sold them a truck previously, they come with a roll back if you want to have them pick up and it’s $30 less if they do. Frankly, I’d give them the car if they also took the tractor. I could drop it all off but more hassle for me. I’ll let you know what they say. Thanks again!

Some of the scrap guys around here (non business guys, just scrappers) would definitely jump at the chance. They’d probably get the car running, fit the mower in the trunk, and roll with it. I’ve seen some strange stuff!

Heck, I’ve done some strange stuff lol.

My old water heater was stuffed into the trunk of a mid size car and tied in with what looked like kite string. Scrap yards must lose a lot of money on water heaters since they accumulate a lot of gravel and water that won’t drain. But I’ve hauled a ton of brake rotors, etc and it weighed in at less than $20 and a couple of condensers and radiators were over $65. How is it profitable for a man to haul a few hundred pounds at a time in a car?