Cabin Air Filter on 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Hi Guys,
On 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5SL should the ARROW on the Cabin Air Filter be POINTING UP or POINTING DOWN. I’m getting a lot of different opinions/answers.
Thanks,
PikonAko

Down.

That’s the direction of the air flow.

Tester

1 Like

Your owners manual says the filter has an ‘UP’ next to the arrow, so the arrow should point up. Is there an ‘UP’ on the filter? See pages 8-23 and 8-24.
2006 Altima Owner’s Manual (nissanusa.com)

1 Like

Which side of the old filter was dirtier?

2 Likes

Kinda confusing having an arrow and up on it. Normally the arrow on filters means the air flow-not this time though. Page 239, 8-23 for quick reference. One thing though, I always look at the way the old one is first and just copy.

Thank You texases,
I need to download a copy of the 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5SL owner’s manual. :slightly_smiling_face:
PikonAko

Texases,
Thank You So Very Much. I finally have the right answer Thanks to you and thanks for the owner’s manual.
/r,
PikonAko :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Thanks for the reply Tester.
Special Thanks to Teaxases for sending me a copy of the owner’s manual
and it did shows the arrow pointing up (Page 239, 8-23).
Even the mechanics at nissan are saying arrow should be pointing down :smiley:
Appreciate all the replies folks :+1:,
PikonAko

Nissan’s the odd-ball.

I worked for a major filter manufacturer.

And an air filter without an arrow meant it could be installed either way.

An air filter with an arrow meant that the air filter had to be installed with the arrow pointing in the direction of air flow.

So, if its not an OEM cabin filter, there may just be an arrow with no wording.

Which makes it more confusing.

Tester

Yeah I just looked at my Acura cabin filter I have on the shelf waiting to put in and it just has the arrow along with “air flow”. So the arrow indicates direction of flow. Very confusing to have “up” and the arrow the opposite of flow.

Toyota cabin filters have an “UP” arrow, all of the aftermarket filters I see are marked with an arrow and “air flow”, those are always installed in the wrong direction. People understand “up” but not the direction of air flow.

It sure does - Thanks Tester
/r,
Pikonako

All they need to do is mold an arrow on the cover, with a matching one on the filter, showing the direction of airflow. Too simple, I guess.

1 Like

The Toyota cabin air filter covers are marked with an “up” arrow so it gets installed correctly. “Up” and “forward” arrows are the standard for many parts.

This is what a Nissan cabin air filter looks like, the arrow is next to the words “air flow”.

Does it matter? On $3 filters. I know they collect dust. And acorns.

My Acura cabin filter is north of $20.

Yes my filter is $20 at store. Cheapest amazon is $14. Rock auto is $3 or $10 or $20. They have uncoated paper or carbon infused or hypoallergenic or hepa and so on.