Buying used with high km

I been looking at a 1998 accord 2.3 i believe.And it has 333000 km on it.The car looks like it’s been looked after.It does run well.Just wondering is it worth buying and how many more km can you get out of it.

If you had the car from new and knew the history, it might be worth keeping…buying it, too old a car, too many km,too big a chance, not recommended here with the info you gave.

How much is one with third the mileage? 330k would depend on repair history, it is a machine and parts wear out, I would think you would have some major maintenance expenses in the next year. Always get an an independent inspection, people seem to know when to sell their car judging from all the new to me or just bought then expensive repair posts on this board.

Edmunds says that the mileage adjustment is about $1000 or on third the value of the car with average mileage (about 200,000 km). Get the car evaluated to see what use-related issues there are and then decide if you want to buy it. It could easily turn out that the car has nearly no value if there are a few engine, suspension, or transmission problems that aren’t apparent from a test drive.

Even if it was well maintained, at that mileage many things start wearing out. Even if the transmission and engine stay OK, all the other things that need replacing will cost about $2000+ per year.

If you can buy this car for $500 or so, go for it, and replace parts as they break with used (if possible) or aftermarket parts. You may get 2 more years of driving out of it that way.

Items likely needing replacing (unless already done); A/C compressor, radiator, water pump, alternator, starter motor, struts, fuel pump, CV joints, brake system, and things like power window motors.

I’ve heard of people buying old NY taxi cabs and driving them for several more years. The key here is that this will not be reliable transportation.

Often too, it’s not the engine tranny that gets you when you decide to run a clunker. It’s, the air doesn’t work, the heater door actuator failed, the power window seized in the down position, the rear window leaks; and rust in the trunk floor. Any one of those can makes a decent car mechanically impractical to drive and too expensive to fix in a clunker…those are some of the other real issues in a 300000 km car you can’t plan on.

Agree, Dagosa; I GAVE my son when he was in college, our 1984 Chevy Impala V8 (then 14 years old) with about the same mileage on it. The car was basically near perfects at that time.

He drove it with the understanding that it would be junked at the first major repair. Over the next 7 years he drove it (two university degrees), the body started rusting and he had to replace the rear axle seals, front and rear brakes, alternator,stereo, A/C cpompressor failed (not fixed) and many little things crapped out. The engine and transmission stayed intact. When he got rid of it in 2004 he still got $500 for it because an apprentice mechanic bought it to fix it as he went along.

As a student he did not have to rely on it for daily transportation.

Unless you want this car for a hobby, and dont intend to drive it for a few years until you get everything on it fixed, I’d pass. On the other hand, if you want to learn a lot about cars, and can spend cash on manuals, tools, and a work space, go for it, tear it down, fix it all, get a paint and upholstery job, and take it to a car show. It all depends on your idea of fun.

333,000 KM is roughly 207,000 miles. So, according to some posters on here, that engine is just now broken in.
IF you’re planing on buying this vehicle, take it to a mechanic BEFORE YOU BUY and have him give it a thorough checkup to make sure there isn’t gonna be any(too?) many expensive repairs in the near future. If the mechanic says it’s ok, and the price is right, I don’t see why you shouldn’t buy it.