Buying first used car

You seem to be at a stage in life when you need to consider your priorities. If you have $4000 to spend and you need a car, consider what myself and the other posters have recommended. If you have $4000 and already have a car and want a second car or a hobby, you can get something ‘different.’ There is nothing wrong with the kind of cars you are considering if you have the means to support them, I just think they will be more time and money than any college student will want to invest in, especially considering you are wanting to travel with the car. I’m sticking with my guns and recommending a Cavalier or Sunfire, which is the same car. The Japanese cars are overinflated in price and, to a certain extent, reputation. When I was car shopping once, I looked at a Ford Taurus (another good choice if you need a larger car) with 112,000 miles for $1200 and a Toyota Camry that was parked next to it. The Camry was four years older, had 100,000 more miles on it, had a very well worn interior, and also had a rather large power steering leak (from the rack, a $1000+ repair). They wanted $3000 for it because it was a Toyota! I know a guy who has a Cavalier with 300,000 miles on it and has never had a problem with it.