Buying a used car for senior citizen

I will get flagged but I find it hard to take someone serious who calls their self " Bobo the Clown ’ :wink:

2 Likes

According to one’s personal view.

Don’t worry. If you don’t take me seriously, I’ll learn to live with it. No flagging necessary.

Might be inclined to agree with you if the state driving test were given more than once in a lifetime. My mother should absolutely not be driving, which I objectively know. Not only because she has double vision ever since having some minor strokes a few years back and so can’t see the road or the people on it clearly, but also from having driven with her and counted the number of times she ran up on the curb because she’s lost her ability to drive well.

Mom last took a driving test when she moved to the state in the 80’s. Now all they do is an eye test where they get her to read a few letters in a lightbox, which she can pull off because they have you close one eye, so the double vision goes away.

As for the drug/alcohol legalization discussion, let’s not forget that we already tried banning alcohol, and the resultant moneymaking opportunities for booze runners led to an exponential rise in power for the mob, and also led to NASCAR, both of which I would argue indicates that we should never try that again. :wink:

And the same thing happened with the War on Drugs - Escobar and his friends would never have gained such wealth and power, and never have been able to kill as many people as they did, if the flood of money from illegal drug sales weren’t propping them up. Not to mention the massive and murderous crime problems we have domestically specifically because of illegal drugs.

People are going to drink whether it’s legal or not. If booze is illegal, they will distill it in the back woods and make bathtub gin, and then smuggle it around the country in cars with hidden holding tanks. People are going to use drugs whether they’re legal or not, as is obvious considering the “War on Drugs” has been going on for 40 years and there’s no sign of the drug problem getting any better (and many signs that it’s gotten considerably worse). We might as well make it legal so that you can get your gin or your marijuana at a normal store that isn’t enriching violent criminals profiting off of black market sales.

2 Likes

A lot of what you say makes sense, in a way. However, I still can’t go along with legalizing drugs. Legalizing it would only serve to make it more common. More meth, more heroine. Less crime? I doubt it. Maybe less organized crime. I’d say legalizing drugs across the board would be a huge mistake. Alcohol was legalized, and now you can buy it on most every corner. Although folks drank alcohol when it was illegal, I’m sure the usage went up exponentially after it was legalized. I do not want that to be the case for all drugs. Not even weed, to be honest. Now I do think the cops ought to just issue a ticket or something for under a certain amount of weed rather than making an arrest (which I think they often do already).

I can’t really go along with “they’re going to do it anyway”. If that’s the case, why have any laws at all? People are going to speed anyway. Why have a speed limit?

There have been a number of flags thrown down for posts being off topic. I don’t disagree.

Careful with the legalization talk; it seems to be gathering more steam than either how to ensure seniors who shouldn’t be driving don’t drive, or even the actual question that kicked off the topic. So if you can tie it back to cars and driving, I’ll let it go.

Thanks and happy Friday.

1 Like

I only saw one but I may have missed all the others. I don’t mind being flagged if “they” (who remain anonymous) flag all the off-topic posts in a thread instead of just one. I vote for full disclosure.

Kia Soul or similar if you can find and afford.

1 Like

Caring about whether other people get flagged, instead of caring whether you’re able to stay on topic, is a weird flex, but okay.

You sir have questioned my math and science aptitude many times so I was surprised and astounded to learn that we have someone who has served in office for 150 years. Since 1871 just after the Civil War. Who would have figured this possible? So I confess ignorance on my math and science skills, or else my calculator broke. Onward onward, GSQ.

Over the past years you may have noticed that I also complain about other people who have had their posts flagged for innocuous reasons. Just a word of warning though, milk causes kidney stones in old people.

I haven’t been here long enough to notice anything over the last couple years.

I think we should legalize off topic. I’m just joking, have a good weekend

2 Likes

I flag thee as being off topic. (kidding-I don’t flag without saying why man to man or man to woman or whatever)

Huh??? I was just pointing out PROVABLE FACTS. Which seems to be a problem with a whole group of people.

How about if you just ask him what kind of car he would like and you both jointly make a determination of what he needs? I looked at 44 of the 74 replies so far but jeez, everyone seems to have an opinion except, none seem to answer your question!

Good luck with it.

1 Like

That is because their is not a real answer. Only the person who drives the vehicle will know if a vehicle is acceptable to them . You should never just purchase a vehicle for some one as Bing says. They might not want the brand , style or even the color.

3 Likes

Hmmm… I’m still trying to figure out how you missed the first 1/2 of my reply.

your first half isn’t a bad idea…but given that the OP said this 1st:

I think he would be better off putting the money for a new car into an Uber giftcard and teaching him how to use that when he needs to go somewhere instead of a new car

2 Likes

WAIT, what? the earth is not flat? LOL