Buying a plymouth neon

it is a 1995 plymouth neon. it has 53,000 miles and they want $1500 for it. Do you think it is worth it? And do you think that it will last me a while?

No way. That car is known for being unreliable. It wasn’t all that reliable when it was relatively new, and now it’s 16-17 years old. At this point, a neon of that age should be a secondary “hobby” car purchase - one that you don’t need to rely on for daily transportation. I’d look elsewhere.

My opinion would be to for it with one caveat. That would be if it can be verified beyond any reasonable doubt that the timing belt job has been done in recent memory. If this has not been done then that’s an expense you would have right off the bat and the price of the vehicle should be negotiated down some, say to an even grand.

A local night security service here had pretty good luck with the Neons. They started using them when they first came on the market and used them the entire time they were in production and for a few years afterwards before retiring the last few holdouts.
The use these cars got was pretty tough also as it involved running all night long during stop and go checks of businesses, extended idling, etc.

No, and no.

Well, the second no needs clarification. If you mean will it last you awhile without some significant money for repairs? – no. If you mean will it last you awhile if you need a lot of repairs and pay for them? – yes. But, you can keep any car on the road if you are willing to pay a boatload for repairs.

Therefore, no and no.

These models were notorious for head gasket leaks, have a compression test done on the car IF you want to buy it.

These cars are much more durable than people believe. That’s why there are so many still on the road today.

It’s hard to believe that it has only 53,000 actual miles. Likely the instrument cluster was replaced at some time. But that may be immaterial. If it drives well, it is a bargain and you should seriously consider it.

The car has a book value of around $800. Offer that amount but don’t go over $1000. You may end up with a dependable daily driver.

If it has been reasonably well maintained, not abused, and had it’s timing belt and water pump replaced (or you treat it to this bit of maintenance upon purchase), and it’s not rusted out, then yes it could last you a while. These cars aren’t as bad as a lot of people say they are. I still wouldn’t offer more than a grand for it, though. They made about a gazillion of these things and a lot of them are still on the road. If you do buy it, though, and do not receive proof of the timing belt and water pump having been replaced in the last few years, get it done immediately! This car has an interference engine, meaning if the timing belt fails, which it will, eventually, and without warning, it will cause severe engine damage beyond the value of the car. Very important!

No. No. The best advice is to stay away from that maintenance / safety trap.

Last a while is a 50/50 chance. The 53k miles is irrelevant.

The price is likely asking. Use edmunds.com to find its more like a $1000 car.

If the car checks out OK, $750 would be the maximum I would offer.