Buy Ford Fusion with Body Problems?

I recently began looking for a used car and came across a Ford Fusion (rental vehicle) for sale. The car seemed to run okay, and tracked straight and true. I got it inspected by an independent mechanic and he found several problems. The motor mounts need replacing and it needs new rear brakes. However, it is the body damage (not structural) he found that has me most concerned.

The left rear tail light has gaps around it. The rear bumper is wavy along the top. The trunk on the left side is not flush and could allow water into the trunk. The dealer said he would fix the problems, but I am mighty concerned if these body problems can truly be fixed. What do you think?

He says he’ll fix the problems, eh? I think you should tell him to call you when he has the problems fixed so you can look at the car again. Then keep looking… no need to wait by the phone.

Used cars are like commuter buses.
If you miss out on getting one of them, another one is sure to come along shortly.

Why would you even consider buying this piece of damaged goods that obviously has collision damage that was badly repaired?

The rear brakes aren’t a major concern, but the motor mounts, to me that would be worrying. Not so much b/c some issue may develop as a result of replacing them, but that they need to be replaced in the first place. Motor mount problems are associated with fast and furious driving habits. So this car has probably experienced a good deal of trauma. If you are still interested, the suspension should be very carefully checked, and an alignment shop should be consulted to insure it is possible to align the wheels to Ford’s specs. It may not be.

VDCdriver is right. Walk away, and don’t look back. There are plenty of other cars out there without the problems you describe. Good move on the inspection! :slight_smile:

If you know about body problems you should look for another car. It’s not a difficult decision.

Too many “red flags” flying here. I’d pass.

Thanks all. I’ll pass on this car and continue looking, and getting inspections. :slight_smile:

He will not fix the problems.
He will patch or rig them.

HARD PASS

@GeorgeSanJose‌

“but the motor mounts, to me that would be worrying. Not so much b/c some issue may develop as a result of replacing them, but that they need to be replaced in the first place. Motor mount problems are associated with fast and furious driving habits.”

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that

I’ve seen plenty of vehicles with bad motor mounts that had nothing to do with aggressive driving

On some vehicles, the motor mounts only last a few years, before they’re collapsed and/or torn. I think in some instances, the problem is the weight of the power train. Whereas in other instances, the design of the motor mount itself isn’t that great to begin with