Bumpy wheels on turns

2003 Subaru outback - 4 Brand new tires (right size)

When turning at slow speeds & parking, the tires bump and gind in both directions.

The brakes also go bump bump bump bump against the steering wheel?

If you are telling us that this did not happen until the new tires were mounted, then I have to question whether they are indeed the correct size.

My best guess is that the tires are coming into contact with the fender or the fender liner when the steering wheel is turned, and this would occur if the tires are too wide. The brakes are not the source of the problem.

On the other hand, if this problem also existed prior to the tire replacment, then your CV joints may be bad.

Also–if you were driving with mis-matched tires prior to the tire replacement, it is possible that you damaged the car’s center differential. There are a few possibilities here until you clarify some of the points that I have raised.

Did this start after you had the new tires installed?

Not sure what you mean by “bump.” Can you be more specific?

Are you sure the wheel nuts are tight?

Yes, we noticed it soon after the tire installations.

bumpety bumpety bump grind - its a heavy rubbing resistance.

Did not check the wheel nuts…

OK. Does this happen when turning slowly, when braking, or both?

Please tell us what tires were on the car before you had them replaced, and how many miles were on the tires. Also please tell us how many miles are on the car now.

Then tell us what tires you bought, and who installed them. If you know, tell us whether or not a torque wrench was used to tighten the wheel nuts. If you don’t know, that’s OK, but if you know it may help.

Thank you -
The old tires were the same, and the new tires match the manufacturer’s recommendation (except 97H is 98H?)

We didn’t notice before and it has slowly gotten worse. Would you suggest bringing it to Subaru - or finding a mechanic.

All at slow speeds - most noticeable parking and braking.

The car has 107,000 miles, the tires had 50,0000 - and were goodyear.

The new tires are Michelin…bought and installed by Costco. And I am embarrassed to say that my daughter (who owns the car) knows nothing about cars and is at their mercy.

If you were driving with mis-matched tires prior to the tire replacement, it is possible that you damaged the car’s center differential.

Please tell us about the condition of the old tires, and whether they were matched as to size, brand, and wear. Also, did you rotate your old tires every 5k-7.5k?

If you were driving with mis-matched tires prior to the tire replacement, it is possible that you damaged the car’s center differential.

Please tell us about the condition of the old tires, and whether they were matched as to size, brand, and wear. Also, did you rotate your old tires every 5k-7.5k?

They were matched goodyear tires, same size, and we thought it better to change before the winter (NY) - there was still just enough thread to pass inspection.

and yes, they are rotated regularly…with every other oil change.

As I understand - I should ask to check the center differential and the CV joints. Thank you so much for your guidance.