Buick Transmission

I have a 2000 Buick Park Ave with 170,000 miles. Runs great and still averaging 30 MPG over the past 25,000 miles. The only problem was that it couldn’t decide if it wanted to be in 3 or overdrive. Told it was a torque converter problem so it was replaced. It shifts great until it runs for awhile. Now after warm up it slams into over drive really hard. Told it’s just he transmission and a new one may be in order. Isn’t there something to be checked or fixed before replacing it? Transmission fluid and filter have been changed twice since the t-converter was installed.

It’s got a lot of miles on it, Dad, a rebuilt transmission is reasonable at this point.

You need to get it scanned at a trans shop and see what’s going on.

If the car had shifting problems and has 170,000 miles on it then the car is probably due for a rebuilt transmission at that point (especially if it has not had regular fluid/filter changes). Replacing the converter only does not make a lot of sense to me since the trans is out anyway.

If the converter is coming unglued (which I doubt was your problem) then why would they not think any debris is scattered through the transmission and cooler lines?