Bugatti Oil Change

Huge depreciation now. Just wait.

The McLaren F1 depreciated when it was new too, and now look at 'em. If you can find one for sale, you’re gonna pay vastly more than new-sticker price. In some cases I’ve seen them go for a literal order of magnitude higher than new price.

That article came out when Veyrons were still being made. They’re not, now. The car’s been dead for 3 years. Give it another few years and I wouldn’t be surprised if they rise in value to cost at least what they were new.

1 Like

But when Bill gates goes to the Safeway for a loaf of bread what does he drive?

Gates drives a Ford Focus when tooling down to Microsoft. At other times he’s driving his Porsche 959. I imagine he has other cars, too.

Koeniggsegg Agera R - $1.54 million

This was on Jay Leno show recently. Pretty impressive!
Now all I need to do is put together the remaining $1.4M…

Just a few more spritzed windows at the stoplights and I’m golden!

1 Like

I’m impressed that you have $140,000 burning a hole in your pocket! Would you settle for a Porsche Panamera 4S?

I have asbestos lined pockets!
Just some pin money on hand in case an acquisition opportunity like this presents itself.
:wink:

Not a fan of Porsche… (I can hear the gasps of disbelief and astonishment from here)

1 Like

First thing that came to mind for $140,000. No problem. If I had $140,000 laying around, I might choose something else, too.

FWIW, I just pulled that number out of the air.
That being said, I have always kept a sizable chunk of savings set aside in CASH as a readily available nest egg. There are those that think I’m nuts but I don’t really have the need or desire to manage it that closely. And I can restrain myself from blowing it on ridiculously expensive toys… I guess that last part is still subjective :wink:

Fair enough. My wife likes to keep a lot of money in a savings account, but I don’t care anymore since I turned 59.5. We can pull anything we want to out of my retirement accounts at no penalty now. Fortunately, I haven’t needed to. We don’t buy things we don’t need, and we also don’t buy things we need. We want to replace the old van now that it’s gone, but she won’t go test drive any. Kinda frustrating.

The 10 % penalty is gone for you at 59 1/2 but there are still taxes to pay on the withdrawal .

I don’t know about Gates, but Steve Jobs (former Apple computer CEO) used to drive a Mercedes SL55 AMG. I used to see him tooting around this area sans license plate frequently. A little googling turned up: Warren Buffett drives a Cadillac XTS, Mark Zuckerberg, an Acura TSX, Alice Walton (Wal-Mart Heir) a Ford F-150 King Ranch, Ingvar Kamprad (Ikea) Volvo 240 GL (a Swedish car, who wudda thought … lol ),
Steve Ballmer (Microsoft) Ford Fusion Hybrid.

I think I could do that Bugatti oil change in my driveway and only charge $20,000 and still make a pretty good profit on the job :wink:

1 Like

That would seem to be common knowledge however my neighbor told me that he withdrew $18,000 from his 401K account the year he retired to pay off his car and he didn’t anticipate the amount of income tax that would be due. I told him that it is common advice to make a withdrawal like that on January 2 the next year so that the 401K withdrawal isn’t combined with his employment income, it seem that he didn’t understand this. Personally I would have paid off the car with my income before retiring.

2 Likes

Exactly…that’s why you wait til you actually retire when your income is much lower. If I started pulling money from my 401k NOW - I’d be hit with extremely high income tax. Wait a few years when I retire and my tax rate will be much lower.

The last one that sold at auction went for $15.6 Million. And it cost a bit over a million, new.

1 Like

We’ll see if the Veyron ever does that. I doubt it. They made 106 of the F1, over 400 Veyrons. So it’s not as rare, and not as well though of, compared to the F1. We’ll see…

1 Like

And the Veyron has no competition history at all to improve its perceived value.

The racing spec McLaren F1 won LeMans overall in 1995… as a GT class entrant and NOT the “faster” prototype class. That was the last time that’s ever happened!

1 Like

Neither does the Duesenberg Model J, unless you count the engine having been developed from a racing engine, but they’re worth some cash today. A Duesy that cost $19,000 new can go for upwards of $800,000 today - which is a more-than-half million dollar rise in price after you adjust the initial price for inflation.

The Veyron is rare. Not technically as rare as the F1, although they had a ton of different variants which makes each variant more rare. but more than that, it was the plaything of the ultra rich guy who didn’t care about racing performance. Future ultra rich guys who don’t care about racing performance will be eager to have a Veyron as a showpiece. It is, after all, rather pretty.

Incidentally that Duesenberg shows you how insane we’ve become with rich guy playthings. You had to have today’s equivalent of a quarter million to drop on a car to get a Model J back then. These days, quarter-million dollar cars are for the wealthy, but not solely the ultra wealthy. A doctor today could conceivably afford a Lamborghini. A doctor back then made around 3 grand a year, so it would have cost 6 years’ salary to get a Model J - the Duesy was completely out of reach for anyone but tycoons.

Maybe I never learned to drive right, but I don’t fault the driver … unless he was driving under the speed limit, which I’ll bet he wasn’t.

I fault the driver(s) in the passing lane who squatted there, preventing others from passing the slower car in the middle lane.

I see it all the time.

Sometimes I’m the guy in the center lane. (But not in a Bentley convertible, alas.)