Broken timing belt

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon with a 2.0 engine. The timing belt broke on it the other day. I replaced the timing belt, but it still won’t start. I checked compression, and I have 60 in numbers 1,3,4 cylinder, and 0 in number 2. Could I have a bent valve due to the pistons hitting the valve when the belt broke?

Yes.

Tester

Ouch! Are you sure it is an interference engine? Rocketman

Tester is 100% correct. This car has an interference engine and has most likely suffered valve damage.
~Michael

Your supposition and Tester’s answer are correct. When the timing belt snapped, a valve in cylinder #2 collided with the piston and that valve is bent. It is also likely that the top of that piston is damaged and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, simply replacing the timing belt is not going to take care of your problem and the engine will need to be torn down for inspection and repair.

Just out of curiosity–How many miles are on the odometer, and was the timing belt ever replaced previously?

I guess this is where I get to look like an idiot. The engine has 270,000 miles on it, and it is still the original belt. I drive 85 miles to work, (that would be 170 miles per day), so the miles add up fast. I did go to change the belt one time, (at approximately 100,000 which is still over recommended change time), and would have had to order it and I didn’t have the time right then. I did look at the belt though and it looked real good, (I guess if it made it 270,000 miles, it was). I talked to a couple other people, and they said a new belt may last 35,000 miles, or it could last 100,000 miles. A calculated risk, that for the most part, was ok I guess. Thanks for the help.

Wow…your sure got a lot of miles out of a Neon!

You fit in the category of people who “push the envelope”. Getting 270,000 miles out of a Neon would even surprise Chrysler engineers. However, timing belts deteriorate from use as well as time and climate. You cannot look at an old timing belt and judge it good based on appearance!

Good luck with the car for the next 100,000 miles!

While that Neon may be worth something to you, a vehicle with this many miles on it is not really worth very much–even if it was functional. Hence, I believe that the repairs will cost more than the actual value of the car. I think that it is time to shop for something to replace it. And, may I suggest replacing the timing belt more promptly on your next vehicle?