Braking & shuddering

We have a 1995 Chevy Silverado 2500. An inhome brake job has produced this problem: When the brakes are applied, as when you’re exiting the freeway , there is quite a bit of what I initially called wobbling, but am now calling shuddering. I know that the tires/wheels are involved because the steering wheel shudders/shakes. Also, when you’re just starting a drive, braking makes the brakes grab; the truck jerks. BUT, when the truck is pulling either my husband’s flatbed trailer or my horse trailer, both of which have electric brakes, both problems go away. I wrote with this problem to C&C,TTB, and got the standard response (which is fine) and suggestion that I put the problem out to other discussers (!!) of car problems. So, here it is. Thanks for any help you can offer. C.

Provide details of your home brake job. Provide details of standard response. Let us (me) know who C&C, TTB are. Details please.

Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers,no?

I am thinking warped rotors. What parts were replaced or serviced on your “in home” brake job. The trailer could be altering the bias of the braking forces.

First thing to do would be to check the lug nuts on the wheels you removed to do the brakes. If more than one of them didn’t get properly tightened, you might well end up with problems similar to what you are describing. And by now, you may well have warped disk rotors as well. You would not be the first home mechanic who forgot to tighten the lug nuts.

Click&Clack, The Tappett Brothers

Dear oldschool,
The standards response is that they receive a kazillion emails daily and that a faster way to get info on the problem is to put it out to the car repair community, which I did. I am noting all replies and thank you for being so generous with your time. The beloved relative who did the brake job is away right now so I can’t get the details; when I have them I will post them. I will say that the problem definitely began after the brakes were worked on. I THINK he put new brake pads on.

Check the bearings to make sure they are within specs for torque, you nay have a couple different issues. Warped rotors obviously the most likely as previously suggested, bearings second, grabbing sounds more like a caliper problem, rethinking, check calipers.