Brakes Repaired, Now Car Groans!

I recently got my brakes repaired (new front and rear pads and rotors, and new rear calipers). This came to a grand total of $700!!! I picked up my car yesterday and immediately after doing so, discovered that my car now groans when making sharp right turns (such as turning into a parking spot). I took it back to the shop and they said it might be a boot rubbing against something, and that I shouldn’t worry about it as it isn’t a problem NOW. Well, my worries are that it will be a problem and I’ll have to pay more money for something they may have possibly caused. Any suggestions on what to do? Also, could they have accidentally done something while fixing the brakes to cause this?

Ford Taurus
Model-Year ?
What kind of shop . . . independent mechanic, Ford dealership, brake shop, Sears . . . ?

CSA

It is a commercial shop called Pomp’s Tire Service. They have places around the Midwest. http://www.pompstire.com/services/

Kaite, Does The Car Have To Be Moving To Create The Groaning Or Will It Groan Sitting Still If You Turn The Steering Wheel ?

Is it only groaning while the steering wheel is being turned or will it continue groaning after it’s turned ?

By “sharp right turns,” do you mean the steering wheel is turned as far as it will turn, until it stops ? If you back-off just a little on the steering wheel will the groaning stop ?

CSA

It groans only while the steering wheel is being turned. I could be sitting in the parking spot, turn my steering wheel, and it will groan.

The steering wheel does not have to be turned all the way for it to groan, but it is turned quite a bit. When I go to correct it back to the left, it will moan as well until it starts to straighten out.

Was Anything Done To The Power Steering . . . Fluid Changed, Leak Fixed, Etcetera ?

I’d check the level of the power steering fluid and make sure it’s at the “full cold” or “full hot” mark, first. Air in the power steering system or low fluid can make the noise you’re describing.

What did they do exactly when you went back and complained ? Did they check under the hood, underneath the car, did they drive it, did they hear they noise ?

CSA

They drove my car and they acknowledged the noise. I’m actually not sure if they looked underneath the car. They told me it wasn’t a brake problem, and that it might be a boot rubbing against something.

I called the manager today worried about having to pay for a problem that arose from the brakes getting fixed. He then said it sounds like a CV axle problem. I’m taking the car back in for them to look at it fully.

Would fixing the brakes cause changes in the power steering fluid, or air entering the system?

Would fixing the brakes cause changes in the power steering fluid, or air entering the system?

It shouldn’t. I can’t think of a reason why it would. Did you have a chance to check the power steering fluid level or are you just going to wait to take it back ?

CSA

I’ll have them check it when I take it. I just can’t imagine paying more money to fix a problem I didn’t have before! I hope that’s not the case.

Check Out Any Engine Belts, Too. You’ve Got A Serpentine Accessory Drive Belt. I Don’t Know If You’ve Got Other Belts For Power Steering Or Air Conditioning Or Just One For Everything.

What model-year is this Taurus ?

CSA

I See That Some 1996 - 1998 Taurus/Sable Owners Complained Of Moaning Power Steering Noise While Idling On Vehicles Equpped With The 3.0L 4-Valve Engine.

Ford told technicians to check the fluid level.
If that didn’t find a problem then make sure the power steering fluid lines aren’t grounded on the vehicle.
If that wasn’t it, purge the system of air (procedure in Ford service manual).
Next, if that doesn’t do it, install a Power Steering Service Kit that includes replacement pressure lines. This would be fairly expensive as it requires several hours of labor.

Let’s hope it just needs a bit of fluid or belt or belt adjustment or something easy.

CSA

I hope it is something simple as well. It just bothers me that this problem appeared right after they fixed the brakes, and having paid 700 dollars for the repair!

Thanks for the help.

You’re Welcome. Please Come Back On And Tell Us What Was Found.

Thanks, CSA

Get the strut mount checked. It is very possible that a worn thrust bearing on a strut is near failure and raising the vehicle has disturbed the “seat” that had been worn in the mating surfaces. Lay your hand on first one, then the other strut tower while someone slowly cranks the steering wheel from left to right. It it is failing you will feel the friction and hear the sound that it makes.

Just received a call from the mechanic stating they couldn’t find where the sound is coming from. They checked the CV Boot, power steering, etc.

They said they could take my car apart further, but both felt that there was no real problem or safety issue.

At this point, should I just say “good riddance”?

Pomp’s Looks Like A Reputable Business (Since 1939). I’d Go Ahead And Drive It. You’re Pretty Aware Of Sounds And I’d Just Monitor It For A While. Should Any New Symptoms Occur (Different Noises, Louder Noises, Something Not Feeling Right), I’d Have It Checked.

The car is 13 or 14 years old. It’s a senior citizen in car years. It has developed character. I’ve got vehicles that are older.

Pomp’s site appears like a shop that knows what they’re doing and I don’t think they’d tell you it’s safe if it’s not. Enjoy your great brakes.

CSA

The good news is that it groans when turning the wheel as well as while it’s standing still. That eliminates a lot of possible causes.

The bad news is that until this is diagnosed it’s impossible to make any assumptions regarding safety.

Rod’s point was excellent: when a vehicle is lifted off the ground, it relieves the load on normally-loaded suspension points and can induce because of wear. The good news is that those noises may be giving you a “heads up” to an impending problem. Rod suggested a worn thrust bearing; I’ll suggest a worn ball joint.

Pursue this. Don’t wait until something comes apart. Try another shop.