Brake pad replacement on non-stock brake pads

That’s what I was thinking. It’s just kind of annoying that even they’d have the wrong part number in their database. It’s odd to me that in three years, no one has had an issue with replacing the brake pads. I haven’t seen anything about it online anywhere. It just doesn’t seem very likely to me that it’s gone almost three years without anybody, literally anybody selling the part, catching a change in a part if that’s what it is.

It’s not that it’s the wrong part number, it’s that the aftermarket part isn’t made to the proper dimensions.

It happens from time to time. I grabbed a set of Moog “direct fit” stabilizer end links for my MR2 last summer. They’re only direct fit if you’re willing to cut a hole in the fender sidewall to provide enough clearance to get the bolt through its hole. Someone at Moog screwed up and didn’t actually test-fit the part to the specific car - they looked at other cars that use the same end link and assumed it would fit without thinking about install clearance that’s probably more generous on more normal cars.

It’s annoying but it does happen.

2 Likes

So the $200 was for parts and labor? Go to the dealer’s parts department and get them there, it sounds like it’ll be worth the cost. We often recommend doing that even if there’s no problem finding aftermarket pads, because OEM pads often avoid the noise problems common with some aftermarket pads.

Either you have the wrong calipers in your vehicle or the wrong pads. The Brake Best pads pictured are the correct pads and they have been unchanged from 2003 to 2019.

I would go to the dealer’s parts department with your complete VIN and ask to see the parts diagram for the pads and see if they match either the picture or what you have. I think they will match the picture.

Have you owned this vehicle since new. If not, it may have been totaled at one time and someone patched together a new rear for it. It should have a salvage title but sometimes they run the title through a couple of states to “clean” it up. BTW, even if you bought it new, that can still happen. Vehicles have been totaled during test drives or even when being moved about during shipment. They are easier to clean the title because they have never been registered.

There’s some variation between brake pad manufacturers so maybe what you are seeing is normal for this manufacturer. Some aftermarket pads are designed to work on more than one vehicle, and there’s some design compromising involved to make them fit on the whole set of vehicles. The pads come with the correct shims and stuff, right? T he location of those wings usually isn’t critical, as long as they are over the rotor somewhere. I think those are the wear indicators, and when the pad wears & they touch the rotor they make a racket to tell you the pads need replacement. As posted above if this continues to give you grief purchase another set , this time oem, from a dealership.