Brake fluid in oil....will it burn?

Our dump facility uses used motor oil to heat their facility. I was thinking of just dumping a little brake fluid into my used oil containers to bring to the dump. Brake fluid will allegedly burn, albiet slowly. Anybody out there know if this will cause a problem with the facility boiler? I know nothing about those systems.

How much did you dump in. It may dilute the oil too much…so i’d change it.

Brake fluid will burn more readily than oil but it can emulsify and swell rubber seals and hoses if there is a significant amount. But at the same time brake fluid will clean small jets and orifices in the burners.

I haven’t dumped it in yet. It’d be less than a reservoir’s worth.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I’ll just give it to the dump guy seperately. He’s familiarized himself with the operating manual for the boiler, and he’ll probably know.

A small amount of brake fluid in a drumfull of old oil is no big deal. There is probably far more glycol (antifreeze) in there already.

Excellent point, Doc.

notwithstanding, limited amounts of antifreeze are expected in used motor oil, and as such are factored into the repurposing process, however it is far less common for break fluid to be found in uses motor oil so I’d go with the ‘give it to them separately’ idea, if it’s ok they will add it to the mix.

I’m gonna go with the “give it to them seperately” route, but I suspect Doc is right. I suspect that those boilers are designed to burn (or vaporize) just about anything, considering the application they’re designed for.

It’s almost certainly less than 1% of the mix, SMB. I wouldn’t worry about it. If there is ethylene glycol in it, there is probably more water than brake fluid.

Those waste oil heaters are not too particular about small quantities of contaminents,the compressed air helps those hydrocarbons atomize,wouldnt worry about a little brake fluid-Kevin