Brake fluid in goblet--can the goblet still be used?

Hi all,

So my idiot roommate decided to show off to another one of our roommates how nice of a mechanic he is and change his brake pads and rotors for him. And the idiot decided that he would use my expensive goblet I got at a festival to collect brake fluid. Now, I know brake fluid is very much unsafe to consume or even come in contact with. So my question is, will it be safe to use my mug after it is washed or should I just toss it and make my roommate give me $25 bucks for a new one?

Is it glass? If so, it seems like it would be safe to use after a good washing.

It’s ceramic!

The inside is glazed ceramic, right? I’d wash it out three times with hot soapy water and forget about it. Brake fluid is soluble in water.

Yes, it is hardened, so I would assume it’s glazed. I’ll do that. Then I’ll hit my roommate with my freshly cleaned goblet.

Har har…if you have any doubt after washing, let it sit full of water overnight.

Your mind will never let your hot chocolate taste the same again. Your roomie owes you for an expensive goblet.

I know how you feel. I had an A.F. roommate who tore a page out of my Watergate Coloring Book and colored it. I was trying to have one item to sell as a collectible some day. It was captioned and it was funny. Good thing my Conan the Barbarian, large size Marvel edition is in OK shape. Pawn Stars might need one some day. There was a goblet in one of those stories. But then; there is always one in those stories.

@pleasedodgevan2 … I’ll continue the idiot roommate theme here. He was a roommate that I had during a 6 week training class in the Air Force. He got up at 4AM to take a shower before venturing out in the morning. He was from an area that had a water shortage and insisted on turning the water off and on numerous times while showering. He did this while singing loudly. The song was the Toaster Strudel commercial from the 1980’s. He also had a fascination with the word “Fahrvergnügen” for some reason or another and tried to use it in every conversation. The last straw was when he confessed to me that he was a smoker. This was disconcerting to me because I was in a non-smoking room by choice. His reasoning…a smoker would constantly bum cigarettes from him. He was gone by lunch time. I was married when I joined the Air Force so I didn’t have roommates as a rule…only during TDY assignments. I loved my wife and I still do. BTW…I drove my own vehicle to school and I’m glad I did. I used it as an escape every chance I got.

@miguel2x‌
Cleaning the goblet is an easy. One way is to wash it in hot soapy dishwater that has a shot of bleach in it.

Back in my younger days when I lived in a large house with lots of roomates, the only container we had large enough to cook a Thanksgiving turkey was my metal oil changing pan. Careful washing beforehand made it a non-problem.

Thanks all! He cleaned it thoroughly!

You mean that the Turkey baster used to suck some of the fluid from the over filled master cylinder is wrong.

The mix master to mix up that latex paint.

How about my buddy back in the 70s, having a few friends help lug a V8 block onto the kitchen table so he could hone the cylinders.

HEY, it was winter and the lighting in the kitchen was pretty good.

It all washes up with a little Dawn.

Yosemite

Yosemite, you’re a good man, but if your friends and family read CarTalk, don’t be surprised if they don’t show up for Thanksgiving dinner this year… {:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not automotive related but many years ago a friend of mine worked for the theater as a projectionist and he used to cook food inside the projectors with heat from the arc rods.

One night he put a large bag of peanuts inside one of the pair of projectors and the peanuts caught fire. That put a damper on the film until the reel was spliced back together. The natives down below in the audience were getting pretty restless before he got it going again; sans a minute or two of vaporized movie… :slight_smile:

I’ll admit to cooking a baked potato on my engine many years ago when I made deliveries in my car. It turned out pretty good. (the potato was wrapped in foil)

@the same mountainbike; I do have a turkey baster in my tools just for that type of thing. I have a evacuator now, but the baster is sometimes faster.

I did go to “Goodwill” once and buy some mixer beaters to mix something with. In a drill they work pretty good. They’re still in the shop, but I don’t remember what I was using them for. Many years ago!!!

It was funny to walk into the buddies kitchen though and see him honing cylinders with about six guys sitting around and watching. I think I stood in the doorway with my jaw dropped to my knees for at least a minute or two.
It was a big old wood table and when his mom found all the scratches…she made him buy her a new table.

Yosemite

My ex roomie tried to cut a frozen ear of corn with my wustoff chefs knife. Cracked blade. Luckily it has a lifetime warranty for idiot roomie damage. Knife had wood handle which wustoff tech said was very old and rare. New knife has plastic molded handle. Not that handle is big deal. It’s the blade that is important

When I worked in the steel mill, we used to cook hot dogs on the radiator of a high pressure test rig. The operator and I thought we were hot stuff and announce over the intercom what we were doing. The millwrights shot back that they were steaming crabs in their shop.

Brake fluid in goblet–can the goblet still be used?
It can definitely still be used for storing brake fluid!

It’ll put lead in yer pencil.

Yosemite