Brake Caliper Question

Thanks for the update. Some tires can become more difficult to balance as they wear. Sounds like this shop is pretty good at it.

If you lived in India or Pakistan (with expensive cars and low wages) a 20 year old would likely be worth fixing, but here you are sending good money after bad. Get rid of it.

It is also true that tires that have been shaking while rolling develop erratic wear patterns that make it a challenge to rebalance. It can be impossible to make an erratically worn tire roll smoothly. It sounds like the shop that did the rebalance did a good job.

Doc, in Cuba a 20 year old car would be considered a NEW car! {:slight_smile:
As a true “citizen of the world”, I know you already knew this… just after a chuckle.

mountainbike

I agree that imbalanced tires develop erratic wear patterns

I see it all the time at the shop

Anyways, 6 months ago a truck with those erratic wear patterns came into the shop, for its scheduled preventive maintenance service, due every 6 months

I rotated and balanced all the rims. I have to note that whoever mounted those tires on the rims, didn’t do a great job. They didn’t match up the paint mark with the valve stem. And I’m not sure the rims were balanced at all. In any case, I had to actually dismount the tires and spin them on the rim a 1/2 turn, to eliminate the wobble and reduce the amount of balance weights needeed

As it so happens, when it came again for its next scheduled service, I was the one who got it

I’m pleased to say all the tires now have a perfect wear pattern. Those same tires which looked horrible and were noisey . . . because of the wear pattern

So even though I corrected the imbalance, the simple act of driving the truck for a period of time corrected the wear pattern