Brake bleed screw size 2020 civic?

Just lightly tap a six point socket on it, sounds like part of the hex is distorted. On a 2020 Honda it’s either a 10mm or 8mm only 2 choices. C’mon Yoshi this ain’t that big of a problem.

Are all the bleeder screws over sized by this exact amount? If you verify that there isn’t a special dealer tool for this then you could file down the bleeder bolt to 10mm. See if the dealer shop manual doesn’t specify a special service tool.

Maybe it’s a special feature where after 15 years of road salt it converts itself in to a 10mm bolt?

Make sure to use grease or anti sieze on it when you screw it back in.

BAD idea, you don’t want grease or other chemicals near your brake fluid. And I can’t imagine being able to ‘file down the bleeder’ in any reasonable way.

4 Likes

You’re saying one drop of engine oil in the brake fluid would cause damage?

You can file a bolt head if you can access all 6 sides with the file. Not something to do if you haven’t used a file before.

@TheWonderful90s Just go away with your stupid ideas .

4 Likes

How many times have you filed down a bleeder on the car to a different size? Have you ever filed down a bolt, anywhere, to a different size?

1 Like

I think I used a file to bring a bolt down one whole size smaller, since it was already partially reduced due to rust. Actually the rust had done most of the work. It just needed some touch up to make the flat sides flat again. I also had to use a file to clean up a flare fitting where I rounded part of it, so I could then use the proper flare fitting wrench on it.

Use an open ended wrench to measure when bringing opposite sides down to the correct size. File off equally on both sides. Then do it to opposite sides two more times to get the remaining 4 sides.

I don’t think brake bleeders are hardened steel. If they are then the file probably won’t bite.

It’s a 10mm, maybe 8mm on the rear. Every time I bleed or flush a brake system, the first thing I do is put a 10mm socket on an extension and tap it onto the bleeder, with a hammer if necessary. Then I loosen and retighten with a small breaker bar. Once all 4 bleeders have been broken free and lightly snugged back, then I bleed/flush the system.

1 Like

Hey Yoshi, is there something/anything you can’t turn into an all day exercise in ridiculousness ?

4 Likes

It would appear the OP is unable to perform the simplest of mechanical tasks and is being given ridiculous information in an effort to complicate things beyond all reason.

I’m working from home today so I have all day to monitor the situation!

Keep up the good work :+1:

1 Like

Yes we have been there before and the is no resolution for months, then the issue quietly goes away. I’m guessing next it will be a headlight bulb.

2 Likes

I did that on one of my truck’s wheel cylinder bleeder valves several years ago. Rounded original bleeder, so filed two new flats. Smaller wrench definitely fit filed bleeder better, but still couldn’t get it to budge. Eventually replaced wheel cylinder.

It doesn’t take much to twist those suckers off. Before pb blaster, I twisted off two of them on my dart and had to get new wheel cylinders.

1 Like

In July 2021 Yoshi asked for help changing the oil and filter on a 2020 Honda Civic that he said was his friends . Now he is asking for help on a 2020 Honda Civic that appears to be his .

If this is still his friends someone needs to tell the friend to run away and find a real mechanic.

2 Likes

Well at the top of the bleeder screw it was exactly 10.0 mm and 9.9 in a few spots at the top, then I took a measurement at the bottom of the bleeder screw and got 10.2 mm. This would explain why I was able to get a 10 mm wrench to sit on only the top part of the screw. I tried to tap on a 10 mm wrench but it wouldn’t sit down far enough on the wrench flats to allow me to rotate it. When I tried I could tell it was starting to mare the wrench flats and I didn’t want to round it out so I stopped.

10.2 mm, this is kind of weird. I think just bad manufacturing tolerances I got a weird one. I think I’m going to have to try a 13/32 inch wrench. If that doesn’t work, because the torque spec is less than 7 ft lb, I might just try pliers or an adjustable box end wrench (a mini one).

why kill yourself. buy a new bleeder screw. put a small vise grip on it and loosen it. replace the bleeder screw and bleed the brakes.

Bleeder Screw - 2020 Honda Civic | O’Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

4 Likes

I think I might have to. A 13/32 inch is my last hope before I resort to pliers. I checked W and BA sizes to see if anything was closer but couldn’t find anything.

1/8 W = 8.6 mm
BA1 = 9.275 mm
3/8 inch ~ 9.53 mm
13/32 inch ~ 10.32 mm
BA0 = 10.5 mm
7/16 inch ~ 11.11 mm
3/16 W = 11.3 mm

I bet one of my Metrinch sockets would fit.

I bought this kit 30 years ago, and still use it.

Tester

1 Like

For crying out loud, get a wire brush, clean the little bit of crud off of the screw, tap a 6 point socket on to it and loosen it. Hours spent on something that should take less than 5 minutes.

4 Likes