Brake and battery indicator lights stay on

I have a Nissan 98 frontier 4wheel drive 4 cylinder king cab. i just changed the winshield washer pump and since then the brake and battery indicator lights stay on. I disconnected the battery and that didn’t help. The battery checks out and I could find the switch for the parking brake to check it. Sounds like a short in the wiring harness somewhere. Any ideas?

Normally, when you see the combination of the e-brake warning light and the battery/charging system warning light, it means that your alternator is failing. I would strongly suggest that you have your mechanic check the alternator’s output a.s.a.p., before you need a tow.

Incidentally, the part about the WW pump is probably just coincidental.

Usually that means the alternator is bad. You will need to put a volt meter across the battery terminals. With the engine off, it should read 12.6V or higher. With the engine idling but all accessories off, it should read somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 volts.

Looks like I’m too late. Just went out to check the voltage and the battery was at 11.7 and won’t turn enough to start. Any suggestions where to get an alternator at a good price/quality??

Any suggestions where to get an alternator at a good price/quality??

It would help if we knew where you live.

For parts like that…I always buy them at Sanels Auto parts.

what i sell goes for $145 i’m in SJ. and that is with the old unit in trade.

Ebay is a good source. You can buy three for the price of one retail.

I might be a coincidence. Sometimes it seems like just opening the hood on an old car and looking causes problems to appear. But before you go out and buy a new alternator, take a good look around the engine compartment. You might have knocked a connection loose or broken a wire.